Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #1

Share |

replacing old wire on existing circuits...

Hi,

My house was built in the 20's and believe it or not, some of the wiring in the house looks to be of the same era. However, all of the receps and fixtures are updated. I'm doing a remodel/addition on the house which will require additional circuits and inspections, but my question is in regards to existing circuits in the house where I have replaced the old wiring with new wiring. There are date codes on the wiring, so it will be obvious that the wiring has been updated within the year. Will the inspector want to inspect the existing circuits where I've replaced the wiring?

Also, if I upgrade the wiring, does that mean I have to upgrade to the AFCI breakers for kitchen/bed circuits? This could be an issue as I'm using some tandem breakers now and have just enough room for the new circuits on AFCI's that I'll need for the addition.

Thanks!

red86yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #2

Inspector will want to see anything you have modified.
Anything you modifiy will need to meet current codes.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #3

Yep, afcis and all of that.

You might want a service upgrade, or if your good with what you have, put a sub in right next to your main.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by red86yota View Post
Hi,

My house was built in the 20's and believe it or not, some of the wiring in the house looks to be of the same era. However, all of the receps and fixtures are updated. I'm doing a remodel/addition on the house which will require additional circuits and inspections, but my question is in regards to existing circuits in the house where I have replaced the old wiring with new wiring. There are date codes on the wiring, so it will be obvious that the wiring has been updated within the year. Will the inspector want to inspect the existing circuits where I've replaced the wiring?

Also, if I upgrade the wiring, does that mean I have to upgrade to the AFCI breakers for kitchen/bed circuits? This could be an issue as I'm using some tandem breakers now and have just enough room for the new circuits on AFCI's that I'll need for the addition.

Thanks!
Kitchen / bath need GFCI protection, AFCI for bedrooms, possibly other areas depending on your code cycle.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #5

If I upgrade to 200A service (and panel with enough spaces needed), do I have to upgrade all my CB's to have AFCI / GFCI where required per the new code?

thanks
red86yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by red86yota View Post
If I upgrade to 200A service (and panel with enough spaces needed), do I have to upgrade all my CB's to have AFCI / GFCI where required per the new code?

thanks
Depends on your inspector, but most don't require it if the branch circuit is not modified. Call your local office to find out for sure.
jamie
Old 12-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
DIYer

I think AFCI is only for new construction, right?
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
I think AFCI is only for new construction, right?
If the code cycle your on requires AFCI on a branch circuit and you modify a branch circuit that now requires AFCI/GFCI then you would normally be required to bring the branch circuit up to current code.

Jamie
Old 12-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
If the code cycle your on requires AFCI on a branch circuit and you modify a branch circuit that now requires AFCI/GFCI then you would normally be required to bring the branch circuit up to current code
He better ask his inspector, because around here they are only required for new construction.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
He better ask his inspector, because around here they are only required for new construction.
If you rewire a bed room you don't need a AFCI, even if your code cycle requires it?, that seems contray to what I understand.

I don't know of any new construction only clause to the nec. I think it is always the same rule, old work is grandfathered in, and new work or modifying existing work needs to be brought up to current code.

KC?

Jamie