Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing old subpanel by adding a new one

Hi,

My old subpanel which feed the whole house is not really up to the code. There is no disconnect and there is no ground bar (ground and neutral are bonded together in one bus bar). I was thinking to add a new bus bar but I couldn't find one compatible with it. The panel made by Crouse Hinds LC012DFG/LC012DSG is the bus bar but I couldn't find any available anymore.

So, I am thinking of adding a new subpanel next to it so that I can put more breakers, correct grounding, and put some AFGI breakers.

Is it possible to extend old wire which ended in the old box to the new box? Can I just use wire nuts for this? What about 120AMP wires feed from main? Is it possible to extend it?

If I have an inspector come in and since this panel is not really up to code, can he say "you have to get out of the house and shut off power until you make it up to the code?". This is an old house and we just moved in.

Last edited by thone; 09-12-2011 at 01:09 PM.
thone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thone View Post
Hi,

My old subpanel which feed the whole house is not really up to the code. There is no disconnect and there is no ground bar (ground and neutral are bonded together in one bus bar). I was thinking to add a new bus bar but I couldn't find one compatible with it. The panel made by Crouse Hinds LC012DFG/LC012DSG is the bus bar but I couldn't find any available anymore.

So, I am thinking of adding a new subpanel next to it so that I can put more breakers, correct grounding, and put some AFGI breakers.

Is it possible to extend old wire which ended in the old box to the new box? Can I just use wire nuts for this? What about 120AMP wires feed from main? Is it possible to extend it?

If I have an inspector come in and since this panel is not really up to code, can he say "you have to get out of the house and shut off power until you make it up to the code?". This is an old house and we just moved in.
Why add one next to it, rather than replace it entirely?

As long as the panel is up to code for the time it was installed, nothing has to be changed at this time.

-- Joe

anesthes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Some important information is needed. Is there a disconnect on the outside of the house? How many wires feed the inside panel? Is the panel fed by a cable or conduit? If conduit, is it metallic?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #4

@anesthes: I have a contractor to take a look and he said it's more difficult to replace than adding a new one. The box is actually half way into the concrete cinder block and he said the box of this size is difficult to find. The conduits will have to be moved to fit the new box as well.

I believed there is some changed by previous owner. There is no way one of the wiring would pass the inspection. (I want to fix it -- but I couldn't effort to do all at once)

@Jim Port: There is a fuse disconnect outside the house where ground is bounded with neutral. The panel is fed by metallic conduit which has 3 wires in side (2 hots and 1 neutral).
thone is offline   Reply With Quote