DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing Old Romex

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kevinp22 
#1 ·
I have an older house I which I need to replace/update some romex wiring. I was planning on turning of the power to the circuit, remove the devices from the wall box and then remove the box. I was hoping to use the old wire to pull the new wire. My problem is how to remove the old wire from the cable staple so it will be lose to use for pulling. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Sometmes I use a 12" cabinet screwdriver and poke a small hole where the staple is and pry it out. Leaves only a small hole to fix instead of a huge one.

#6 ·
The problem is that the old romex is probably stapled every 3 or 4 feet or so along the entire path from the panel to the outlet. So even if you remove one staple, you are not likely to be able to pull the old romex well enough to actually pull the new wire. I had the same problem, I ended up demolishing all the old romex and running all new cable. Zero salvage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.