Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Replacing old receptacle (PICS)

Double gang with receptacle and switch that controls a light. I want to replace the receptacle, not sure how to wire.

The box has red, white and black coming into it. The red is passing through the switch.
On the receptacle the wires are going into holes on the back rather than secured to the side screws.

Can I remove the red, white and black from behind the receptacle and secure it to the new receptacle on the screws? Red and black on the hot side and white on the bottom neutral side? This will leave one neutral screw empty.

picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

If all you are doing is replacing the receptacle then just wire it back the way it was. Or am I missing something?

With the red and black on one side that suggests half of it is switched. If this is so then be sure to break the tab between the two brass screws.

Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Busy DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
If all you are doing is replacing the receptacle then just wire it back the way it was. Or am I missing something?

With the red and black on one side that suggests half of it is switched. If this is so then be sure to break the tab between the two brass screws.
If I break the tab on the brass side, the red won't have power?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight

If I break the tab on the brass side, the red won't have power?
Maybe you aren't explaining something properly. You said you have a black and a red on the brass side. This indicates a split recep. Both black and red are hot. One recept is constant, while the other is switch controlled
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Busy DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
Maybe you aren't explaining something properly. You said you have a black and a red on the brass side. This indicates a split recep. Both black and red are hot. One recept is constant, while the other is switch controlled
No, I said I have black, red and white sticking in holes in the back. As for explanation, I have picture and wiring diagram. What do you think is missing?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

By your drawing---the power is simply a carry through to the switch---so no need to remove the tab.

Remove the tape on the old recepticle--make sure the tab is om the old one---
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 38

Picflight, holy schnikies. Can you make that picture any more of a macro zoom. Maybe 3240x3240 would be better helpful to the rest of us with failing eyesight.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
Busy DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
Picflight, holy schnikies. Can you make that picture any more of a macro zoom. Maybe 3240x3240 would be better helpful to the rest of us with failing eyesight.
Greg, I try to make the pics easy for mobile and aol users to download while trying to keep a decent size. I guess I did not do a good job on the latter. Next post, you will see the full size :-)
Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

It is just that it blows out the browser, when it is larger than expected. It would be nice if they would set up the board, so that it resized the photos, so that they did not blow out. BTW, who ever last did that outlet, wasted the electrical tape. I would not doubt that they did the same with the rest of the outlets in the house. Good insurance, but not needed.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
Busy DIYer

The outlets I have opened up so far, none had the tape, this is the first I have seen. This from a mid-fifties home.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

picflight, it was not backstab btw (ie wires inserted in the holes on the back, vs. properly secured around the screws).
Old 10-26-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
" Euro " electrician

I would suggest that you turn the circuit off compelty and pull that tape off and actually see how it hook up to be on safe side and do not take any wires off at the moment until you see the screw colour and the bridge tab[s] is there or been removed.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Electrician

The OP is saying the switch controls a light. My guess is the black is the feed and the red is the switch leg, power originating at the light box. If that’s the case, leave the bridge tab on the receptacle. Yes, you can use the screws on the new receptacle, they’ll provide a better connection. Yes, black and the red jumper wire on the ‘hot’ side of the receptacle, bridge tab left intact, white on the neutral side. Red jumper to the switch to power it. What I don’t see in the picture is ground wire jumpers from the receptacle and switch to the box.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
Busy DIYer

Greg, yes the wires are inserted in the holes and not screwed.

Sd, your review sums up how it is currently wired and how I am thinking of wiring the new receptacle. So it is ok to have one white & black screwed on the lower and the red on the brass side going through the switch?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #15
Electrician

Yes, upper or lower, doesn't matter as long as the bridge tabs are intact. White on a silver screw, black and the red jumper on a brass screw of their own. The red jumper is suppying power to the switch.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SD515 For This Useful Post:
picflight (10-28-2011)