DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   replacing an old Electrical receptacle (

djtjak43 08-27-2008 03:21 PM

replacing an old Electrical receptacle
I have a friend who has a small pond with a very old outlet for a small pump for the pond. The receptacle, which is above ground on a short post, has three prongs in a circle. He got a new pump which just has the regular three prong plug on it. Can we replace the current circular receptacle with a standard GFI? The old plug says 20 amp, 125 volt on it.

Pudge565 08-27-2008 03:44 PM

Yes you can put in a standard receptacal there. First turn off power to that circut. Then take out old recep. Put black on gold colored screw. White on silver screw and green or bare on green hexagon screw.

Termite 08-27-2008 04:19 PM

Make sure that you install a weather-protected cover on the receptacle so when the pump is plugged in, water won't get in the receptacle.

Also, either install a GFCI receptacle outdoors or a GFCI breaker at the panel feeding the circuit. Without GFCI protection, it is an unsafe condition.

CowboyAndy 08-28-2008 07:46 AM

Also make sure that the new recep is rated for true 20 amps... it will have a t-shaped prongs.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1