Replacing My Old 2 Connductor Wiring In My 1950's House - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

replacing my old 2 connductor wiring in my 1950's house

I am redoing a room in my house and I am going to replace all the accessible old wiring from 2 conductor to 14/2 grounded (15 amp breaker). The original wiring to the house in solid core copper 2 conductor wire (without ground). The insulation covering the conductors appears to be plastic but the insulation sheathing looks like a black cloth. It almost looks as if it is coated with tar or something on it.

My question is.. Is the sheathing cloth, fiber glass, or Asbestos? I would like to know so I can take extra precautions when removing the old wiring.
My house was built in 1950 and in most parts of the house this looks to be the original wiring.

Advertisement

VinnyBags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Resi EC

Rewards Points: 250

It's not asbestos, or fiber glass, but i would wear gloves it can be messy to work with

Advertisement

Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gac66610 For This Useful Post:
VinnyBags (07-24-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac66610 View Post
It's not asbestos, or fiber glass, but i would wear gloves it can be messy to work with
I agree... and no one, in the trade or inspectors, can tell methe name for it. I always call it "old Romex" and everyone seems to nod and know what I'm talking about.
VinnyBags (07-24-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,436

It actually can contain asbestos, depending on the company that manufactured the wiring. As for handling it, remove with gloves, because pulling it will tear your hands up, unless you have really callused hands, then it would not matter.

As for what to do with it after you are done, I just toss mine in my recycling bin, because to me, the little that it is worth, when I pulled as much of my old wiring out, really did not matter.

With you, it is your choice if you wish to take to get money for the Copper, but be ready to sign your life away and leave a paper trail as to why you have such a large quantity of copper wiring being exchanged for cash.

http://www.asbestos.net/exposure/pro...ectrical-cloth
http://www.mesotheliomahelpnow.com/c...ire-insulation
http://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...go_portal_home
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 05-30-2013 at 07:05 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-30-2013), VinnyBags (07-24-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I am really surprised that you have this in a house built in the 50's I would have expected BX. Goes to show you, you never know.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
VinnyBags (07-24-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I am really surprised that you have this in a house built in the 50's I would have expected BX. Goes to show you, you never know.
First Greg...Thanks.... I was told at a electrical supply shop the old romex did not have asbestos .. good to know.

Jag... I hadn't run into it untill Cali at my kids 1949 and 1953 builds in both N and S Cali. Have no idea of it's time frame of use... except I guess at least from 1949 to 1953.
VinnyBags (07-24-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBags View Post
I am redoing a room in my house and I am going to replace all the accessible old wiring from 2 conductor...

Is this wire in your way or preventing you from doing something?

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
VinnyBags (07-24-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
First Greg...Thanks.... I was told at a electrical supply shop the old romex did not have asbestos .. good to know.

Jag... I hadn't run into it untill Cali at my kids 1949 and 1953 builds in both N and S Cali. Have no idea of it's time frame of use... except I guess at least from 1949 to 1953.
I look at it this way. Any home built before the 80's, and is more than 60 years of age, can contain Asbestos, Lead Paint in it. I spent four years around Lead based paint, Carbon Tet, trichloroethylene, and have not yet had any after effects from it.

Also have breathed in enough rust, gypsum dust from demo in our house, that most people would run for the hills. Lung tests come clean every time.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
VinnyBags (07-24-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I look at it this way. Any home built before the 80's, and is more than 60 years of age, can contain Asbestos, Lead Paint in it. I spent four years around Lead based paint, Carbon Tet, trichloroethylene, and have not yet had any after effects from it.

Also have breathed in enough rust, gypsum dust from demo in our house, that most people would run for the hills. Lung tests come clean every time.
Gregor... I'm with ya Bubbi

Yes, I think it's smart to mitigate exposure...like put a fan in the window... not work in an asbestos factory for 30 years... but I don't put on a white suit and an aqua lung.

Ya know out here in Co and granite country, we have a radon issue. Basically we do remidiation for over EPA recommendations of 4 pico-curies(?).
That standard is based on 8 hours exposure for 70 years could be detrimental.

I'm not callous, and I doubt you are, but I've got a worse chance of getting hit by a buss.

I'm just saying, I guess, let's keep things in perspective with reasonable risk assesment.

Best

Peter

Advertisement

VinnyBags (07-24-2013)