Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing a light....wires crossed????

I bought a new chandalier for our dining room to replace the one that was up when we moved in. I just removed the old one and the hot from the fixture is going to the neutral and the fixtures neutral to the box's hot. Can someone tell me if this would be done for any reason or just an accident? The light has always worked fine previously. What can happen if this is done? Not quite sure what to do.
jailbird371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #2

It will work either way. The incorrect hookup increases the chance of shock if you are not careful changing the lamps and also did not flip off the switch.

The neutral should connect to the wires going to the sides or shells of the lamp socket (easier to accidentally touch) and the hot should connect to the wires going to the centers or bottoms of the sockets.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #3

Is there only one white wire and one black wire in the box? (not counting the fixture wires)
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Is there only one white wire and one black wire in the box? (not counting the fixture wires)
Yes, plus ground,
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #5

There can be other wires in the box, for example continuing to other lights or receptacles, or going to the switch.

Therefore it is important not to undo such other wires when replacing the light fixture here. A simple fixture replacement can turn into a complicated project figuring out what went where if you disconnect all the wires.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
There can be other wires in the box, for example continuing to other lights or receptacles, or going to the switch.

Therefore it is important not to undo such other wires when replacing the light fixture here. A simple fixture replacement can turn into a complicated project figuring out what went where if you disconnect all the wires.
But in my case, since there is only one 14-2 wire coming in, I should just wire it normally. (opposite of what is was)

correct?

Last edited by jailbird371; 04-14-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Look at the wires from the chandilier. If one has ribs on it or is silver color that is the neutral, the other should be smooth or copper color that would be the hot. If in doubt that check for conituity from lamp shell to each wire. The one with continuity is the neutral.
NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #8

I agree with both Allan and Marine. Also if you have an ohm meter I would check for continuity between the white and the ground (with the breaker OFF). Hopefully the original light wiring is the only goofiness. Do NOT connect the ground to the white when you install your new light.

Last edited by daveb1; 04-14-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Add last sentence
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

I wired the new light last night and did it how it should be. black to black, white to white, ground to ground. Seems to be working just fine.