Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Replacing Light Switch & Outlet, but now I'm confused.

Hi there.

Was replacing a bunch of old and painted over outlets and light switches, so, am replacing them all (they were old looking anyway). As well, the outlet in our bathroom wasn't a GFCI plug, so, wanted to get that straightened away.

So here's my predicament.

In the bathroom, there's a lightswitch for the overhead lighting, and an outlet. The outlet always has power.

Here's how it was wired up before. (for purposes of the diagram, the thick wire is the black wire, the thin one is the white wire) (oh, I've neglected to draw in the ground wire, but it is there - and disregard the dotted green line . . . didn't deselect in visio when I was drawing )

Thought I would just replicate that, and all would be good.

But I got the new GFCI plug, but it's got the bottom two terminals taped off, and mentions I shouldn't uncover them unless I have two wires providing power to the plug . . . which I don't.

So . . . now I'm confused what to do with that "left over" white wire. Should I just connect the two white wires together in the new plug? Or should I be doing something completely different?

Thanks for an advice in advance.
Jer

ego1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #2

Leave the terminals taped. Those are the load connections. You won't be using them.
Connect the two white wires to the silver LINE screw. GFCI is usually back wire connection. You should be able to put one wire under each side of the screw and tighten. The metal plate will clamp down. You don't wrap the wire around the screw on back wires.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #3

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

So if I may ask a quick follow up then . . . . can I put one wire into the hole on the back of the GFCI plug and put the other onto the corresponding screw? Or is that bad?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
BIGRED

Hi Jer, From your drawing I assume the black at the lower left is your source and the white that comes in from the lower left is the old outlet common. If this is the gist of it then the black going the bottom right has to be for your light. If the white at the lower right is from your light it can be tied to the white for your outlet. The catch that comes in here is that there is a Source end and a Load end to a GFCI outlet. If you tie the black and white(s) only to the Source end you will be OK. Just don't tie anything to the Load end unless you have more outlets to add on.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
BIGRED

Thanks joed. You're much faster than me. Plus I couldn't remember the name for source. (LINE) You know your stuff.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #6

Thanks to you both . . . you're both pretty quick on the draw when it comes to replying.

So, I understand that I can put both of the whites onto the new GFCI plug . . that's cool. Am I okay in putting one of the white wires into the hole on the back, and the other under the corresponding silver screw?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #7

There are generally two holes on the back. Don't use one hole and the screw rerminal.

If there is only one hole, I'd tie the whites together along with a short pigtail.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #8

Yes, you were correct . . . noticed that after the fact . . . there were two white holes. I went in both of them, and everything is perfect.

I want to thank all three of you for your help. You've made my day!!

(that's one set of thumbs up for each of you!)