DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

replacing a light switch for mobile home

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SD515 
#1 ·
I have the self contained light switch that has burned out. I have 3 wires that come out one hot and one to the laundry room and one to my bedroom. I have tried changing out with a regular light switch, but my laundry room light only cuts on when my bedroom light is on. Then I went with a new slotted light switch like was there to begin with, but with a total of 3 black wires in the slots, it will not turn off....what can I do to make it work.

#2 ·
You have 3 cables…one is the feed (power in). Does one go to a light in that room? And the other to a switch in another room?
If so, the feed black gets connected to the black that feeds the other switch and a short piece of black wire to use as a jumper. That jumper connects to the switch (you are replacing). That will leave one black left, which gets hooked to the other switch terminal. Whites get tied together, ground together with a jumper for the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.