Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 PM   #1

Share |

replacing light switch in bathroom

I have a rocker style light switch in my bathroom that has gone bad. There is also a switch for the exhaust fan. When I took the switch plate off I found that there is no gang box. The wiring is stored inside the switches. I want to install a gang box to make things simpler for the next time I have to replace a switch. What I discovered was that there is one live feed going to one of the switches and three other feeds and one jumper. The receptacle is also being fed from this also. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to wire this using conventional switches?

cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #2

Quote:
I have a rocker style light switch in my bathroom that has gone bad.
What makes you think the switch has gone bad? It happens, but it's rare...is this just an assumption or have you somehow tested it?

Before we go any further, we need to know more about what you have now. How many cables come into the area? What color conductors are going where? Are there any conductors that are twisted together and not connected to anything? Needless to say a picture, with all devices out in the open, would work wonders, but if not then one device at a time...conductor color (and from which cable) and screw color would be a good start.

Also might be helpful knowing what tools/testing equipment you have or have access to. (Multimeter, a simple $3 contact tester, etc.)

For the purposes of this post (and most posts on this board):
Cable = Romex or similar...one "cable" contains several conductors.
Conductor = Each individual wire coming from a cable.

Last edited by jproffer; 02-21-2007 at 09:50 PM.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

before you get any more things here

is this place is a mobile home or manufacterd home ??

if so i have a trick or two up the sleeve but before i can do i need quick confermation is that place is moble home or not because the code get little tricky there

Merci , marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:05 AM   #4

Thanks for your reply Marc. It is a mobile home and yes the switch is bad. When you cut it on it does not stay in the completely on position. And comparing them to the quality of switches that you would buy at a home or hardware store I can see why it won't stay in the on position. I have 4 lines of romex coming to that sight plus a jumper from the switch in need of replacing to the switrch that turns the exhaust fan on and off. Both switches are actually small boxes with the romex connections inside. The bare ends of the wire are all connected in what looks to be channels. I really would like to get rid of this setup and go with a conventional installation. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I don't have any testing items, any suggestions? Thanks.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote