Replacing Kitchen Ballast - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing kitchen ballast

i have a 3 tube light fixture in the kitchen that stays on for awhile then flickers and goes out. I tried new bulbs and i didn't work so i'm assuming it's the ballast. there are 2 ballasts on this fixture one for 2 tubes the other for one tube. The ballast fore the 2 tubes looked like it had been getting hot so took a picture of it to try and find a replacement at my local home depot. when i when i went it and talked to a guy he wasn't able to help find an exact match. He suggested i replace both ballasts with one that would power all 3 lamp. I thought this was a perfect idea since i was guessing and wasn't exactly sure which one needed to be replaced anyway. The problem is when i pulled out the instructions this morning it says for commercial use only.

GE multi-volt proline T8 high-performance electronic ballast
Model# GE332MV-N-DIY
120 to 277 Volts, 50/60 Hz

Can i put this in my kitchen or do i need to take it back and get something different?

Advertisement

jknober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknober View Post
i have a 3 tube light fixture in the kitchen that stays on for awhile then flickers and goes out. I tried new bulbs and i didn't work so i'm assuming it's the ballast. there are 2 ballasts on this fixture one for 2 tubes the other for one tube. The ballast fore the 2 tubes looked like it had been getting hot so took a picture of it to try and find a replacement at my local home depot. when i when i went it and talked to a guy he wasn't able to help find an exact match. He suggested i replace both ballasts with one that would power all 3 lamp. I thought this was a perfect idea since i was guessing and wasn't exactly sure which one needed to be replaced anyway. The problem is when i pulled out the instructions this morning it says for commercial use only.

GE multi-volt proline T8 high-performance electronic ballast
Model# GE332MV-N-DIY
120 to 277 Volts, 50/60 Hz

Can i put this in my kitchen or do i need to take it back and get something different?
Personally, if the thing can be wired into your light, I'd use it. Not sure why they would say "commercial use only", but it should present no danger. The warranty may not be valid if you install it in a residence though.

Advertisement

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Most likely you have t-12 lamps and these will need to be replaced with t-8 lamps.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I was curious about this "commercial use only" thing and went-a-searching...

Seems this is a FCC rule...

"FCC Class A non-consumer rated"

And has to do with how much the device will interfere with radio and TV reception in a home. You may have noticed that radios do not work in a retail store and this is because of the fluorescent lighting.

Here is a blurb on this...

["RF lighting devices produce light by using RF energy to stimulate gases contained inside a lamp. In 1985, the Commission classified RF lighting devices as Part 18 Industrial, Scientific, and Medical (ISM) equipment and adopted rules to control the harmful interference to radio communications services from such devices.1 The current Part 18 rules for RF lighting devices specify AC power line-conducted emissions limits between 450 kHz and 30 MHz and radiated emissions limits between 30 MHz and 1 GHz. Part 18 specifies different emissions limits for consumer and non-consumer RF lighting equipment. Consumer ISM equipment is equipment that is used or intended to be used by the general public in a residential environment.2 Non-consumer ISM equipment is equipment that is used in commercial and industrial environments."]

Above from...
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineeri...9/fcc99135.pdf
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for the feedback on this. I replaced the ballast and it seems to be working fine.

The only odd thing is that there is a delay of a split second from when i flip the switch and when the lights come on. It didn't do this before. Does this sound normal or did i wire something wrong?
jknober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

That delay is probably the ballast sensing the available incoming voltage, and adjusting itself for proper output. No problems using it.

Advertisement

kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote