Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
MDD

Share |

Replacing heater in bathroom with Vent -- how to go about it

Hello everyone, first time poster, so bear with me!

We just moved in to a house built in the 60s, so its gonna be a joy fixing up some things.

In one bathroom, there is a ceiling heater unit (nutone, small heat coil and fan) that i want to remove and install a vent. When I removed the heater, I saw a metal enclosure that surrounds the unit inside the ceiling. It doesnt look to be conducive for a simple 'swap' with a vent, as it is totally enclosed, no way for air to escape.

What steps am I looking at to get a vent installed and working properly?

I know electrical is required as well, which i can do if its simply wiring the new unit in.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave

MDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDD
Hello everyone, first time poster, so bear with me!

We just moved in to a house built in the 60s, so its gonna be a joy fixing up some things.

In one bathroom, there is a ceiling heater unit (nutone, small heat coil and fan) that i want to remove and install a vent. When I removed the heater, I saw a metal enclosure that surrounds the unit inside the ceiling. It doesnt look to be conducive for a simple 'swap' with a vent, as it is totally enclosed, no way for air to escape.

What steps am I looking at to get a vent installed and working properly?

I know electrical is required as well, which i can do if its simply wiring the new unit in.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave
I assume you mean a vent fan? The electric part is there, so all you will need to vent it to an exterior wall and pop a whole in the side of the house. Or if there's an attic above you can vent it to the soffit and exit there.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #3

All that old metals going to have to come out. Somehow it's attached to the rafters.
Going to be a challange to find any thing that will be an exact match. May have to cut out some drywall and cut a new hole for the new unit.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

The mechanical code requires this to be vented to the exerior of the structure. You cannot just vent it into the attic space.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
MDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The mechanical code requires this to be vented to the exerior of the structure. You cannot just vent it into the attic space.

Jim, thanks for that very useful bit of info there, I wasn't sure if something this minor (in my mind) would require a good deal of work.

As far as venting it is concerned, could you advise as to what would I need to get in order to do that? I assume a large hose of some specific type?
MDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

The fan housing should have a 3 or 4" outlet to connect the vent to. I would probably use flex metal venting. The discharge cap would depend on where it was vented. There are through the roof and sidewall types. The sidewall looks like a dryer vent hood.

MDD (01-17-2012)