Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

replacing existing light with can light?

In my house, I have a florescent light in the addition part of my kitchen. My plan is to replace it with a 4" can light and add two more to the left and right of the existing light. My problem is I don't know how to branch the wires off to the left and right b/c there is no access from above.

mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Turn of the electric. Remove the junction box. Place these wires into the junction box for this center light. Run another 14/2 from this one to the left one. For the left one run 14/2 to the right one. Connect all the ground wires (bare or green) ones together. All the whites go together and all the blacks go together.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferguson0414 View Post
In my house, I have a florescent light in the addition part of my kitchen. My plan is to replace it with a 4" can light and add two more to the left and right of the existing light. My problem is I don't know how to branch the wires off to the left and right b/c there is no access from above.
Do you mean there are joists in the way?
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

yes ctsmiths, there are joist, sorry I should have said something about them being in the way
mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

use a drill with a long extension and drill a hole into the next joists. At Home Depot or an electrical supply house the sell long drill bits for this purpose that have a small hole on the end to attach a fish wire so you can then reverse the drill and slowly pull the wire into the new hole from the new recessed can hole into the center junction box.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,026

Check to see if there is a gap between the ceiling material (drywall, etc.) and the joists and see if you can insert a stiff wire (or electrician's fish tape) along the top of the ceiling material over to your other light positions.

This does not always work since the furring strips running perpendicular to the joists and to which the ceiling material is attached (yielding the gap) may also be in the way.

AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote