Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Replacing an Eletrical Panel needs to break the dry wall?

A certified electrician came to replace my 19-year old Siemens 150 amps panel with a new Cutler Hammer panel with the same service load. He could not take the old panel off the wall because he said it was glued to the dry wall. Is it often required to tear off the dry wall to install a panel? He also stated that he would not make a new dry wall after installing the panel and I had to hire somebody else. Is this a normal practice?

What are common challenges to replace an electrical panel?

Thank you for your help!

JS

eirhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,434

Perhaps the drywallers spread adhesive over the back of the panel when they installed the drywall? If so the drywall probably would need to be cut out. The panel should be secured to the studs.

I would not finish the new patch either as I would then require a home improvement license. Also the would add 3 trips back to patch properly and it still would not be painted.

Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Is this a modular home. If so I could easily see the factory putting some kind of construction adhesive on the panel. Why? I don't know.

I am with Jim. I do not patch drywall unless it is a small hole or three, like you might get if I had to notch ceiling joists. Even then you would only get a first coat.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,242

I would cut the drywall around the panel, tear off the old panel, install a piece or plywood a bit larger than the removed drywall. Install the new panel. Paint the exposed plywood if it is in an area that looks count.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Perhaps the drywallers spread adhesive over the back of the panel when they installed the drywall? If so the drywall probably would need to be cut out. The panel should be secured to the studs.

I would not finish the new patch either as I would then require a home improvement license. Also the would add 3 trips back to patch properly and it still would not be painted.
The keyword here is; The STUDS. (Metal or wood.) It is an improper and UNSAFE installation! Wonder what's holding the walls? The electrical Contractor who refused to replace the drywall was (probably) motivated by the fact that the original installation was wrong. Replacing a piece of drywall doesn't have any LEGAL ramifications one way or another. (Now more than ever)Don't Drink and Drive
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #6

Question

Thanks all. Just give you an update. I concluded that this electrician, so called "Master Electrican" with 17 years experience, did not plan to install the panel because Home Warranty would pay him only $700 for the work.
This "glue to the wall" was only his excuse to get out. He came to my house with NO county electrical permit (required), NO lights (basement was dark), and NO tools. He tried to pull the old panel out by his hands for about 10 times (No tools to assist), and then told me he could not take it out because it was "glued" to the drywall, too tight. He reconnected all wires to the breakers and then left me with no power in the kitchen, living room and dining room. He refused to come back to restore power.

Home Warranty also refused to help.

The panel has been replaced. We now have elelctricity throughout the house and, we are safe. The new electrician cut out a drywall on the bottom a little bit and unscrewed a couple of nails, and took the old out. It took him less than 10 minutes. The new Culter Hammers panel is taller than the old Siemens panel.

I'm in Maryland. What do you suggestto hold that bad electrician accountable for what he did?

Do you think the pricing he submitted to the Home Warranty ($700) for panel replacement reasonable?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #7

"handy husband": what you suggested is what the new electrician did to install a panel. thanks for your advice
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would not even come in your home for a panel change out at $700. I wonder how he even got suckered into the job in the first place.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #9

Question

What would be a minimal charge for installing a new panel? I know it involves a lot of work.

Tags
breakers, eletrical panel, replacement