Replacing Electrical Outlet Box - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing electrical outlet box

I have several electrical outlet boxes that need to be replaced. Not the electrical outlet (or receptacle), but the box that the outlet screws into. The boxes are made from cheap plastic instead of metal, and are falling apart.

I hired one handyman to fix the problem, but he just cranked the screws on the receptacle tighter. That was a very short-term fix, and now some receptacles have broken loose!

Obviously the boxes have to be replaced. What is the appropriate procedure to do this?

Advertisement

imported_AllThumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

quite easy, if you are not too confident about electrics then plug in a lamp to the socket you wish too change, with it on find the switch in your fuse panel that turns off the socket, light should go out. To be safe plug another lamp in that you know works to make sure there is no power there.
Now unwrap the new socket and read the instructions - it should be easy as its just swapping one socket for another so make a note of where the wires go.
In the UK it is worth checking the earthing arrangement is correct (green and yellow covered wire) there should be one coming from the cable onto the socket and one fron socket to the box in the wall, the new regulations now state two from the cable (unless this a spur socket) should go to the socket.
Make sure you get the exposed conductor right into the holes and do up the screws nice and tight, give them a little pull to check.
once wired up, line up the screws that fasten the fascia to the box in the wall and make sure no wires foul the screws, then tighten.
Theoretically all downstairs sockets are on the same switch but I've learnt to be wary - always test each one before you open it up.

Cheers

Advertisement

nicknackynoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but I think I didn't explain myself clearly enough. The electrical parts of the socket are working, it is the box in the wall that is broken. I need to replace this piece:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...hId=5587083750

What I need to do is disconnect the existing socket (as you outlined), but then I need to pull out the box from the wall and replace that. What I'm trying to understand is how to get the box out of the wall, hopefully without making a huge hole in the process.

I can find lots of instructions on how to replace the outlet, for example:
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homem...ace-outlet.php
But I haven't found anything for replacing the box that the outlet goes in.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Hi
They make boxes that can be added without too much dry wall destruction. But, if you need to replace the existing ones I don't believe you are going to do this without the hole in the drywall you were trying to avoid. If you have an unfinished room behind the box you can do it from the back side. Or if you have both sides to do you could make all your holes on one side so not to have to repair both sides of drywall. After gaining access the replacement of the box should be pretty straight forward.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs
I have several electrical outlet boxes that need to be replaced. Not the electrical outlet (or receptacle), but the box that the outlet screws into. The boxes are made from cheap plastic instead of metal, and are falling apart.

I hired one handyman to fix the problem, but he just cranked the screws on the receptacle tighter. That was a very short-term fix, and now some receptacles have broken loose!

Obviously the boxes have to be replaced. What is the appropriate procedure to do this?
I have the same trouble. Half of the outlets in my house are broken; pretty bad for a house I purchased 5 years old. Most were fixed with a big wood screw. But some are just plain broken, no size screw will work anymore. Did you have success replacing the boxes? How are they removed, and how are the new ones attached? Thanks.
imported_Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
Did you have success replacing the boxes? How are they removed, and how are the new ones attached? Thanks.
Sorry, but I haven't figured it out yet. :confused: Are there any experts out there?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #7

I have a slightly different reason but the same problem. I'm installing new receptacles, but the box sticks out a little from the wall so it doesn't look nice. Of course I can't move them back since they are nailed to the studs which means they were installed before the walls went up. I've done some searching and found 4 good links to help figure out your problem. Please let us know what you decide to do.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.e...9e4bbe3b42e6bc

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...d31733d87aa8a3

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...thick_wall.htm

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm
imported_Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 PM   #8

Scratch -- thank you very much!

I think I found what I needed now that you've opened my eyes to the world of "remodeling box" or "old work box".

Advertisement