Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing door bell transformer

One day both my doorbell and the one for my tenant stopped working. I figure that the transformer needs to be replaced. I purchased a new one. My transformer is bolted to the bottom of the fuse panel. I removed the cover and saw that there are 3 wires, 2 black and a green. The green is wired to ground, one of the black is piggy backed to a fuse(the wire is split with a connector in the middle, see pic) and the second black is screwed into a panel that is fiilled with screws. I really do not know what that screw filled panel is for. Here is a pic, I have pointed out, with a pencil, the screw that I am unsure of. Can anyone guide me in the right direction as to how to proceed to replace the transformer?

Mudkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkicker View Post
One day both my doorbell and the one for my tenant stopped working.
Can anyone guide me in the right direction as to how to proceed to replace the transformer?
Sure. Get a meter and VERIFY the transformer.
Both volts in and volts out.

If it's dead (it happens)... replace it.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Sure. Get a meter and VERIFY the transformer.
Both volts in and volts out.

If it's dead (it happens)... replace it.
I get zero readings from the transformer out(were the doorbell wires are connected). If I turn the fuse off, can i safely remove the other black wire from that screw that I pointed out with the pencil in my picture?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Those are not fuses, they are breakers. Yes, once you turn off the breaker, you can remove the transformer. Usually the transformers are piggybacked off of a Junction box, and other times like yours, attached to the panel.

Just reverse the process that you did, when you removed the old transformer, when you reinstall the new one.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Those are not fuses, they are breakers. Yes, once you turn off the breaker, you can remove the transformer. Usually the transformers are piggybacked off of a Junction box, and other times like yours, attached to the panel.

Just reverse the process that you did, when you removed the old transformer, when you reinstall the new one.
Ok, if i turn the breaker off, can i safely touch the other wire that is connected to the screw on the bottom(where I pointed my pencil)?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

You do not touch anything but the outer covering of the wire. Use the one hand rule. One hand on the screw driver, the other to your side, while working in the box. The wire that lands on that Neutral bar, can go anywhere on there, if you do not feel comfortable trying to fish it back under that same screw. Just when you get the new transformer, take the stranded wire, and twist counter-clockwise if placing on the right side of a screw, clockwise if placing on the left side of a screw. That way when you tighten the screw down, it will not untwist the strands.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #7

Quote:
You do not touch anything but the outer covering of the wire. Use the one hand rule. One hand on the screw driver, the other to your side, while working in the box. The wire that lands on that Neutral bar, can go anywhere on there, if you do not feel comfortable trying to fish it back under that same screw. Just when you get the new transformer, take the stranded wire, and twist counter-clockwise if placing on the right side of a screw, clockwise if placing on the left side of a screw. That way when you tighten the screw down, it will not untwist the strands.
Great thanks. The Neutral bar, can you explain what it is? Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Great thanks. The Neutral bar, can you explain what it is? Thanks
That big bus with all of the white wires attached to it, at the bottom, along with your black wire.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Master Electrician

Quote:
I'm not qualified for energized work, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Great idea. Give someone a "crash" course in hot-work and hope they survive the experience, considering they don't even know what the parts of the electrical panel are.

A fine responsible approach.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to busman For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

BTW, I just noticed that there are wire nuts in that box. By Canada's standards, you are not allowed to do that in your breaker panels. Only here in the U.S. can we do that inside the breaker panel.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Master Electrician

Quote:

Oh, and you might want to explain to the OP what will happen to him if he loses his one-handed grip on that screwdriver and drops in on an energized part. One-handed does nothing for arc flash and is NOT a safe work method.

Mark
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
MCB
sparky

Best to close down your computer stuff and just shut the whole panel off when you are in there (with the main)....better to have to reprogram a few clocks than have an accident that kills you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
BTW, I just noticed that there are wire nuts in that box. By Canada's standards, you are not allowed to do that in your breaker panels. Only here in the U.S. can we do that inside the breaker panel.
The CEC allows it for extending the wires, but not to use it as a junction box.
MCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
registered

Be carefull i would kill the power to the box first. You see the big black cable above at 12 oclock. IT A BAD BOY.: BE CAREFULL MESSING AROUND DOWN THERE.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB View Post
Best to close down your computer stuff and just shut the whole panel off when you are in there (with the main)....better to have to reprogram a few clocks than have an accident that kills you.

The CEC allows it for extending the wires, but not to use it as a junction box.
Yes, there is a big black lever that shuts down the power to the whole house, ill do it that way.
I really want to learn how to repair things in my house. I am pretty handy overall but basically no knowledge when it comes to electrical.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Yes, there is a big black lever that shuts down the power to the whole house, ill do it that way.
I really want to learn how to repair things in my house. I am pretty handy overall but basically no knowledge when it comes to electrical.
Suffit d'acheter le transfomer sonnette taille appropriée, ils sont généralement moins 16 volts assurez-vous que vous n'obtenez pas le mauvais laquelle elle sera de 24 volts dont il est commun pour Furance et l'unité climatisation

Just buy the proper sized doorbell transfomer they are typically at 16 volts make sure you do not get the wrong one which it will be 24 volts which it is common for furance and air conding unit

Merci,
Marc