Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing disposal...wiring regs

Current install has a electrical box with a switch surface mounted under the sink. Then NM wire from the switch box to the disposal. That's how it was when I bought the house, and I've replace the disposal once, using the same setup. It lived a good life but is leaking and needs replaced.

New disposal has a plug. So I have the option to install an outlet or just removing the plug and using the existing NM wire.

Here's the issue. I'm reading a Black & Decker book and it says NM wire is not permitted in an open area where it can be damaged. Ok, but it makes me wonder.....if NM wire is a no-no, why is a cord with a plug on the end allowed? Does a cord offer more protection than the sheath on NM? I wouldn't think so.

twinrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

basicaly,nm(romex) is part of permanut wiring so it needs to be protected.disposal is a cord and plug connected appliance just like washers,friges ect.it is a whole different matter.you can put the romex in wiremold if you want as it should be to box.

oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

It's only exposed from the switch box to the disposal itself.
Thinking a new 4x4 electrical box, with both a switch and an outlet is the way to go. Though it sure is tempting to just wire it back like it was for the past 10+ years.

Last edited by twinrider1; 04-28-2011 at 06:09 PM.
twinrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote