Replacing A Dimmer Switch With Regular Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing a dimmer switch with regular switch

My downstairs living room lights (3 on the ceiling) were on a dimmer switch. Last week they would come on but were dimmed with the switch all the way on. Now they won't come on at all. I assumed the problem to be the switch itself. I didn't like the dimmer switch so I bought a standard switch. This switch is in a double box with another switch that operates a hallway light. The box has two romex cables routed into it both with white, black and bare copper and each are on their own breaker. When I pulled the cover off I noticed the dimmer had two black wires and one red with one of the wires capped to the ground (bare copper) on the other switch. Of course in my haste to disassemble I didn't take note of which wire on the dimmer was capped to the other ground. Real smart of me, I know. After removal, I fastened the bare copper from the hallway romex to the green screw on the hallway switch. The hallway switch has the white at the top, black at the bottom and now the bare copper on the green screw. I wired the new switch the exact same with the wires from its own romex. However, the hallway light works and the living room lights still don't. What did I do wrong or is this correct and there is something else that failed? Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to call an electrician just yet. Thank you.

Advertisement

demus72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 512

Was this dimmer set up as a 3-way? That is, is there another switch to turn those lights on and off?

Advertisement

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

No, it was the only switch that controlled the three ceiling lights.
demus72 is offline   Reply With Quote