Replacing Cooktop, Circuit Amperage Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing Cooktop, Circuit Amperage Question

I am replacing an old cooktop that was powered by a dedicated 30 Amp circuit. The circuit has 10 gauge wire. Many of the new cooktops I'm looking at require a 40 amp circuit, or the specs say 30Amps/208V or 40 Amps/240V.

If the specs of the appliance say 30Amp/208V or 40 Amps/240V can I use that cooktop on my existing circuit? What determines whether the appliance is drawing 30A/208v or 40A/240v? Is it the way the appliance is wired when installed or will the appliance only draw 30A/208V if its on a 30A circuit?

Thanks

Advertisement

diverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,906

The voltage affects the ampacity. Your house probably has 120/240 volt. 208 is commonly a commercial voltage.

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The voltage affects the ampacity. Your house probably has 120/240 volt. 208 is commonly a commercial voltage.
Jim... I'm not going to understand commercial or three phase or anything.... but is there a relatively simple explanation why an appliance can run on a system with less volts and amps (30A/208) verse 40A/240.

Seems counter intuitive to me.

TIA

Best

Peter
Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

208V is not 240V. The current draw depends on the voltage (Ohm's law). So if you have a 240V system, which you probably do, then you need a 40A circuit.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Jim... I'm not going to understand commercial or three phase or anything.... but is there a relatively simple explanation why an appliance can run on a system with less volts and amps (30A/208) verse 40A/240.

I=V/R

30=208/R

R=6.93 ohms

I=240/6.93

I=34.6A - round up to 40A.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #6

OK, thanks. I understand now. So lets assume I'll need a 40 amp circuit for the new appliance. The current circuit has 10 ga wire, which I believe is rated for a max of 30A. Unfortunately I think I already know the answer to this question, but is there any way to upgrade the existing circuit to 40A without running higher capacity wire?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
JW

Rewards Points: 194

In a word- no. It would be a fire risk to terminate that #10 wire on a 40A breaker in your situation.
mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
I=V/R

30=208/R

R=6.93 ohms

I=240/6.93

I=34.6A - round up to 40A.
MPoul.....DUH.... Sorry... and thank you. I guess I got/was focused on the equivalent energy used by the cooktop.

Best

Peter
Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #9

OK, that's what I thought. Thanks everyone for the quick responses.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you have easy access to the cable or conduit ( pipe ) then you can able upgrade to #8 CU ( four conductor aka Black , Red, White et bare or green depending on which it used )

And double check the connection point some cooktops unit do required netural so make sure you check the installment instruction on that part.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,232

Quote:

It does to me as well. Whatever the appliance is rated for, that's the wattage it will draw. Lower voltage would mean higher current. I eagerly await some pro's explanation of this.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

MD.... I'm going to try this.... subject to a pro's correction/clarrification.

I assume that this appliance cooktop (non-inductive motor) can function at several wattages... within a range of wattage.

At 208/30, it just does not get as hot as if running at 240/35. (It's resistance remaining static/same).

I suppose it could "run/function" on 120V... just really crappy.

At 480V (as if I have any idea what that 3 phase stuff is) it would work really hot/good.... very temporarily untill the element burnt-up.

I'm interested in pro's input, because Ohm's law is Ohm's law, and I'm pretty sure Ohm was correct.

Best

Peter

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of theoretically, is if you had a resistance that varied in it's Ohm's resistance. Many years ago, I was learning about Ohms and tried to measure a "cold" light bulb... could not equate resistance to wattage using MM... then discovered a light bulb element does not take on it's "rated" wattage/resistance untill under load/hot. ... DUH on me

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 07-19-2013 at 01:10 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
MD.... I'm going to try this.... subject to a pro's correction/clarrification.

I will help you with something along the way.,

I assume that this appliance cooktop (non-inductive motor) can function at several wattages... within a range of wattage.

It will be diffrent wattage on heating elements all it will depending on the system voltage as you will read the rest of comment it will fall in place.

At 208/30, it just does not get as hot as if running at 240/35. (It's resistance remaining static/same).

They will loose about 20% of heating rating if ran on 208 volts instead of 240 volts and 208 volts is common found in commercal building and alot of larger condos flats and from time to time single family homes can get 208/120 volts if they get it off from POCO network distubation which it is common near large commercal buildings. ( there are speical rules to deal but will discuss about that later on the time realted to 208 networks )

I suppose it could "run/function" on 120V... just really crappy.

Oui., C'est simple 1/2 voltage and will result 1/4 of wattage of normal 240 volts element so like 2500 watt element @ 240 volts it will drop down to 625 watts on the same element.

At 480V (as if I have any idea what that 3 phase stuff is) it would work really hot/good.... very temporarily untill the element burnt-up.

Denfineity will burn up due it will be 4X of normal wattage so instead of common 2500 watt element it will become 10,000 watt element which it can blow up the 240 volt elements which I have see it happend but not very often.

I'm interested in pro's input, because Ohm's law is Ohm's law, and I'm pretty sure Ohm was correct.

Best

Peter

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of theoretically, is if you had a resistance that varied in it's Ohm's resistance. Many years ago, I was learning about Ohms and tried to measure a "cold" light bulb... could not equate resistance to wattage using MM... then discovered a light bulb element does not take on it's "rated" wattage/resistance untill under load/hot. ... DUH on me
My reply in bleu so you will know my answer there.

With heating elements the ohms laws will never change at all but the moteurs on the other hand it will change so lower voltage the more current it will draw for the same load on the moteur. ( all it depending on type and connection of the moteur.)

Merci,
Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 07-19-2013 at 01:51 PM.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
It does to me as well. Whatever the appliance is rated for, that's the wattage it will draw. Lower voltage would mean higher current. I eagerly await some pro's explanation of this.
You are assuming the wattage stays the same. It does not. The resistance of the burners stays the same. Thus if the voltage is lower the current and the wattage are lower.
md2lgyk (07-21-2013), mpoulton (07-19-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
My reply in bleu so you will know my answer there.

With heating elements the ohms laws will never change at all but the moteurs on the other hand it will change so lower voltage the more current it will draw for the same load on the moteur. ( all it depending on type and connection of the moteur.)

Merci,
Marc
MARC... MERCI MON AMI... (Edit X-post...and JOED...thank ya Bubbi)

Your clarrification really helps/confirms some basic electrical concepts/understanding for us non-pro's

Best

Peter

Advertisement

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 07-19-2013 at 01:51 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (07-19-2013)