Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Replacing Chandelier Ground Wire Question

I have a 2 year old house, and wish to change my dining room chandelier. I watched some youtube videos which show you how to do it. It looked straight forward until I tried to do my own. I haven't even started to take off the old chandelier because two things look very different to me.

1) The wire connectors are not the type that you screw on, at least they don't seem to screw on. They are plastic nubs, but with a rubber part to them near the open end. That seemed odd. How do you take these off?

2) The ground wire... I can see a green screw in the ceiling box, which in the video, that is where the ground wire wraps around, however they ignored this. Instead, there is a copper wire coming out of the ceiling box and they have wrapped it up with the ground wire coming out of the chandelier into one of the odd looking plastic/rubber connectors.

Why isn't it around the green screw? Should I use the green screw? Or do I follow suit and wrap the light fixture's ground wire in a connector with the copper wire coming out of the ceiling ?

This has me at a standstill as I don't want to mess up anything electrical, it is too important. Thanks.

dreamstwogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #2

Replacing Chandelier Ground Wire Question

FIRST: write down, or draw a diagram of how everything is now connected. Better yet, take a closeup pic as well in case your diagram is wrong.

Just cut the connections, and put them back with wirenuts. Use a yellow wire nut for two wire splices, and a red for 3-4. You'll need a 6" pigtail ( piece of bare copper wire) added, and spliced to the chandelier ground and the ground coming from the ceiling; put that pigtail around the green screw.

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote