Replacing Chandelier Green Grounding Wire? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing Chandelier Green Grounding Wire?

Oh, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help.

I'm replacing a chandelier in my home. The chandelier came with no wiring instructions. The wires are all the same color. I bought a continuity tester and figured out the "hot wire" by touching the middle of the socket. I will label them black.

There are two unmarked wires going down the center of the fixture. I figure that I will connect the black wires to one of them and then label that "black."

A friend took down the old chandelier. I figure I attach the black wires to the black one coming down from the ceiling and the same for the white.

Now I'm left with a green wire that came with the chandelier. One end has a loop and the other end has wires. I see a green screw in the ceiling on that bar where I will attach/screw in the new chandelier.

I'm figuring one end goes with that green screw. My question is: where does the other end of this 6 inch wire go?

I have never done any electrical work before I truly appreciate your help. Since I don't know which switch in my garage goes to the chandelier, I figure I will just turn them all off. My friend didn't turn off the circuit when he removed the old one. He said flipping the switch was enough.

JoAnn

Advertisement

wyjadka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Please be careful around electricity!

Shoddy carpentry and drywall work = ugly walls and tough wallpapering

Shoddy electrical work = crispy fried dead people.

That being said, the green wire is your Ground. It should provide a path for electricity to return to the panel in the event the fixture should become "hot".

The green wire should go from the metal base of the chandelier to the bare copper wire in the ceiling box. If there is no bare copper wire coming out of the ceiling box, then the green screw in the ceiling box

If both wires coming out of the ceiling are the same color then it is possibly knob and tube which means no Ground is available. I would consult an Electrician at that point

And that is where my DIY knowledge ends. Please be safe

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.

Last edited by CplDevilDog; 03-24-2011 at 06:43 PM.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
Please be careful around electricity!

Shoddy carpentry and drywall work = ugly walls and tough wallpapering

Shoddy electrical work = crispy fried dead people.

That being said, the green wire is your Ground. It should provide a path for electricity to return to the panel in the event the fixture should become "hot".

The green wire should go from the metal base of the chandelier to the bare copper wire in the ceiling box. If there is no bare copper wire coming out of the ceiling box, then the green screw in the ceiling box

If both wires coming out of the ceiling are the same color then it is possibly knob and tube which means no Ground is available. I would consult an Electrician at that point

And that is where my DIY knowledge ends. Please be safe

Thank you so much! The wires coming out of the ceiling are white and black.

There is a green screw. So I attach the loop end around any metal part of the chandelier and the other end to the green screw, right?

Thank you again. I really appreciate your kindness.

JoAnn
wyjadka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

You are welcome.

Please be aware that I did not initially offer any advice in my post, only the warning. I went back and edited it because I want to be helpful...

If there is no bare copper wire coming down in the box then the box itself must be grounded in order for this to be safe. There are ways to test for this but they are beyond my knowledge without a book

Please, please be careful

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CplDevilDog For This Useful Post:
wyjadka (03-25-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Please do not consider it safe just because the switch is turned off. Turn off the breakers in the garage before proceeding. They SHOULD be labeled as to which one is for what area.
I would not place my life in the hands of someone who may or may NOT have wired it correctly.

DM
wyjadka (03-25-2011)

Tags
chandelier , green wire , grounding