Replacing Ceiling Fixture - Hole In Ceiling With Wire Hanging Out - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing ceiling fixture - hole in ceiling with wire hanging out

Hi everyone,

This is my first post; we have a nice little house built in the 1950's, but the previous homeowner constantly leaves me scratching my head. The following has me stumped, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Above our kitchen sink, we had a fluorescent lighting fixture that held two tubes. We don't really like how bright it is, and want to replace it with pendant lights; we purchased a set that has 3 lights with a canopy - I figured that I could just attach the wires to the existing ones in the outlet box and have it up this weekend.

I removed the fluorescent lighting fixture, and found a hole in the ceiling with a wire hanging out. Old insulation is visible, and there was some sort of wood board that was easily moved (see picture).

Our home has a front gable, and there is a small door at the top of our stairs to allow access. The kitchen ceiling is above the floor of the gable. Upon inspection (there was a towel covering the "work"), I found a junction box attached to a joist, but then there was wire coming out of that with twist on caps connecting to the wire that runs into the kitchen. The board is there for no real apparent reason from what I can tell.

I'm not sure where to start. Some of my questions/comments are:

1. I don't understand why there are twist on caps connecting wire outside of the junction box. Most of the wiring in the house is older, and there are various types (ie. grounded, ungrounded; this wire does not have a third ground wire). I am thinking that I need to open the junction box to see what is going on, and hopefully disconnecting wire and running new wire that would get me to the next box (which doesn't exist yet). Is that correct?

2. Don't I need some sort of box to hold the wire that would be accessible from the kitchen ceiling? I know that with ceiling fans you have a box attached to the joists - is this what I need? If I need an outlet box, does it matter if it is plastic or metal?

3. There's a big hole in my ceiling (obviously). What's the best way to repair it? Is is best to do a drywall patch repair? I was looking at:

http://www.creativehomeowner.com/ind...ectid=chele027

and was wondering if this would be the correct approach.

I'm ready to tackle the project, but want to make sure that I am taking the best approach. Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if I am missing any details. Amy
Attached Thumbnails
replacing ceiling fixture - hole in ceiling with wire hanging out-img_0464.jpg   replacing ceiling fixture - hole in ceiling with wire hanging out-img_0466.jpg  

Advertisement

sunshine1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

I think you bought Cossak's old place...

No seriously, If you are installing a surface mount fixture, the easiest way would be a remodel type fan brace, then patch the hole like the link you posted. All splices must be in accessible junction boxes. If there is no attic above this space, then that box cannot be buried up there.

If that is accessible attic space, you may be able to remove the romex to BX splice and run a new romex to the fixture box you install. However, you need to know if that is AC or BX cable. AC will have a thin metal strip running inside the metal casing. If it doesn't have that strip, its not legal to extend that circuit. If it does, run the romex to the new box and make sure to ground the metal boxes.

Advertisement

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
sunshine1221 (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #3

Hey there,

Thanks so much! I will get back in there tomorrow (it is accessible; it's an unfinished attic space accessible from a small door, but everyone else is in bed and I don't want to clod around in there right now) and check to see what kind of cable we have. At that time, I might have more questions. Since I am a newbie to the forum, I will also look up to see who Cossak is I really appreciate the help - a lot of the time I can find my way with books and internet research from reliable sources, but I wasn't sure with this one. Amy
Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
"So I Re-Wired It"

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
I think you bought Cossak's old place...
LMAO! That is too funny!

Amy, please do not look up Cossack. Unless you want to learn what NOT to do
jbfan (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZ View Post
Amy, please do not look up Cossack. Unless you want to learn what NOT to do
Too late with regards to Cossack - I don't want to say too much, except that I get the reference now

I opened the junction box this morning, and I believe we have AC cable. The orientation in the photo shows the cable running into the top of the box, and there is a wire placed around the screw in the junction box. Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I should be able to disconnect the old romex and run new romex to the fixture box I plan to install.

I did have one question - can you please clarify how to ground the metal boxes? I want to make sure that this is done correctly. I am thinking that I need to buy 12/2 romex and make sure that the ground wire is connected to the junction box, but I am not positive.

Again, thanks so much! Amy
Attached Thumbnails
replacing ceiling fixture - hole in ceiling with wire hanging out-img_0467.jpg