DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing Ceiling Fan without light w/ fan + light

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DangerMouse 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone - Currently, our upstairs has two bedrooms with ceiling fans without light fixtures. It hasn't been an issue to this point, since the rooms remained empty since we bought the house. Now we have a baby on the way and wanted to replace the fan with one that has a light fixture, since I'm not sure I'll be able to change diapers in the dark.

My question is, is there any issues with doing these replacements. I tend to think No, since our upstairs bedrooms were added on to the house in the last 10 years, so I'm sure from a load perspective the house can handle it. However, I can't think why the previous owner would not have put lights in these two rooms, which makes me worried there's something i'm not considering.

Thanks!

#3 ·
FYI, with most ceiling fans, you can add a light kit to the existing fan without the need to remove the old and buy a new fan. If the wiring does not include the provision for a separate switch, you will have to operate with pull chains or install a remote control fan kit.

#6 ·
If unable to change the wiring to allow for light & fan to be operated independently with separate light switches, the best route would be to use a remote to allow you to turn off the fan, or turn off/dim the light. Keep in mind, with the use of CFL's being more commonly used over incandescent light bulbs, make sure that the remote with dimmer capabilities will work with CFL bulbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.