DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

replacing box in wall with new construction type

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  jamiedolan 
#1 ·
I want to knock out a single gang light switch box and replace with double gang, but I want to install the new construction type that nails in at an angle, is it possible to do?

There are no built-in clamps on the new construction boxes and you should staple any new wires to the studs? but not enough access to do so?

#2 ·
Of course you can install that type...you'll just need a much larger hole! Why don't you want to use the remodel box? I've used many and have had great results.

Don't worry about stapling the wires in the stud cavity...they run wild. New construction requires stapling to keep the wire from getting caught between the drywall and stud when hanging drywall.

#4 ·
I am going to tile over the wall and worry about the remodelling boxes introducing flexes when operated on, although, since this is just for light switches, unlike receptacles that have good plug retention.

I may just use remodelling box and predrill 2 of holes on the stud side and use a use 2 short screws to anchor it some more, just incase.

#5 ·
I've done this many times. My way-Cut the power to this circuit FIRST. Remove the switch, then using one of those hacksaw handles that leave part of the blade extended, cut the nails of the old box without damaging the sheetrock, then you can remove the old box through the hole. Then I cut out the extra needed for the new two-gang box, I use the remodel type with the ears that tighten up on the back of the sheetrock and I secure it in place just snugly. Then I use two sheetrock screws placed into the side of the box that is against the stud and screw it down tight, if there's not a stud then there were no nails to start with. IF this is illegal, then I was taught by an older, established, maybe not sane, Licensed Electrician on how to do this. Thanks, David

#7 ·
If you're going to tile over the hole...whack it out, support the outlet box like you want and piece the drywall back in. You might consider the adjustable boxes...but I think you're over thinking the solution...as long as the drywall is in good shape and you don't crush it with the screw clamps, you'll be fine...

#8 · (Edited)
Most boxes come out easily.....unless it has a bracket in front of the stud :( 99% of the time I can change a 1G to 2G with no patching. Just get between the box and the stud with a screwdriver and pry it loose.

Just screw thru the new box to the stud.

I rarely use the old work boxes. It's a much more secre installation when it's attached to the stud, plus there is more room in the new construction boxes.

#16 ·
Most boxes come out easily.....unless it has a bracket in front of the stud :(
Every single box in my house is the bracket in front of the stud kind. So when upgrading to a double, what I do is crush the old box, then sawzall off the bracket. Last one I did, there was 0 damage to the plaster. :)

Jamie

#9 ·
If you cut the bigger hole first you can pry the nails out using a pair of ***** as a lever.

Here is a picture of a pre-made box with the screws thru the side.

Arlington and Smart Box make versions.

#14 · (Edited)
Technical foul. Here's the same box. Just run some screws in. The conductors are not going to come in contact with them.

Says who? Why should I believe you? :) And your picture actually meets code, BTW. :)

(1) Nails and Screws. Nails and screws, where used as a fastening means, shall be attatched by using brackets on the outside of the enclosure, or shall pass through the interior within 1/4" of the back or ends of the enclosure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.