Replacing Bathroom Light Fixtures, Going From One To Two. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Replacing Bathroom Light Fixtures, going from one to two.

Hi all!

I am probably not the person that should be asking this question because I know NOTHING about wiring at all but my dad and my husband will be replacing our bathroom light fixtures this weekend and I want them to be as prepared as possible.

My question is this: How complicated/what needs to be done in order to replace an 8 light single, center mounted light fixture with two individual 3 light fixtures? I know that there is one hole currently housing the wiring for the single mounted fixture. Will that need to be patched over and two other holes made with the wires fed through two new holes for the new light fixtures? Will the wiring that is currently there be able to easily be used for the new light fixtures? Will any additional wiring or anything be required?

I am located in the US and our house was built in 2003 just in case that information is necessary.

I appreciate your help! I'll pass along any information I receive to my husband and my dad.
Thanks!

Advertisement

diynewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by diynewb View Post
Hi all!

I am probably not the person that should be asking this question because I know NOTHING about wiring at all but my dad and my husband will be replacing our bathroom light fixtures this weekend and I want them to be as prepared as possible.

My question is this: How complicated/what needs to be done in order to replace an 8 light single, center mounted light fixture with two individual 3 light fixtures? I know that there is one hole currently housing the wiring for the single mounted fixture. Will that need to be patched over and two other holes made with the wires fed through two new holes for the new light fixtures? Will the wiring that is currently there be able to easily be used for the new light fixtures? Will any additional wiring or anything be required?

I am located in the US and our house was built in 2003 just in case that information is necessary.

I appreciate your help! I'll pass along any information I receive to my husband and my dad.
Thanks!
It depends. I heard you say "patched up"...You cannot splice wires inside the wall. New wire may need to be pulled if you want to avoid a junction box.

If you pull wire you must use the proper size according to the breaker size.

Advertisement

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

Without knowing the construction of your house, it's difficult to know what's involved.
But as rgsgww said, you will have to install a cover plate over the old box, or disconnect the wiring going into it before you can "patch" over it.

Normally, the light would be wired with power coming into the switch, then wired to the light. If you have more than one black, one white, and one ground wire in the light box, then things may be a bit more complicated.

In order to get new wiring to the new fixture locations, you will first need to install a box at each location. If there are studs in the wall between the switch and the fixtures, you will need to drill through them, which probably means opening the wall.

You can run the new fixtures from the old box, but you will still need to place a blank plate over the box before finishing the wall.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You'll also need to install new boxes for the new fixtures. Most light fixtures are not listed to me mounted to the wall alone...They must have a box. The exceptions to that rule are some strip lights and flourescents.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
Mwd1013 (11-12-2011)