Replacing Bathroom Light With Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing Bathroom Light with Fan

I'm replacing a bathroom ceiling light with a new exhaust fan. This is the kind of fixture with a built-in light in addition to the fan so I won't need a separate light fixture.

There's an existing junction box. It looks like I do not need a junction box for the fan (and indeed it looks like it would be in the way of the fan housing). Is that right?

What do I do with the existing junction box? There are several wires that connect at the existing junction box location. I removed the ceiling drywall as it had water damage, so I can see where they go--at least one goes to the wall switch, it looks like one goes to a GFCI outlet in the bathroom, and one set goes to the vanity light and outlet built in to the medicine cabinet. And of course one was for the light fixture I've removed, which I will use for the fan.

I understand that it's against code to cover up a junction box with drywall. What's the safest and most aesthetically pleasing thing to do? Should I just cover it up with a junction box cover? It will look a little funny on the ceiling, I think. Can I use the fan housing as the junction box? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

quinten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

Do you have attic acess?

If so, then undo the nails, add a short lenght of wire for the fan, place a cover over the box and nail it out of the way.

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #3

No, this is a condo and there is a unit above. I do have full access to the ceiling now though so could move the junction box, etc. I guess I want to know if that's really the only option--to keep the wires in a junction box and just purchase a junction box cover. If so that's what I'll do--I want to make sure it's safe and following the code.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

If you know where both ends of the wires go, you can rewire and get rid of the jbox!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
If you know where both ends of the wires go, you can rewire and get rid of the jbox!
Given the size of the junction box on the fan this is the only way to go.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

I think this is where the power comes in from the breaker box. There are a few armored cables (bx cable?) coming in to the box that have un-colored, insulated wires inside, and some newer-looking black cables appear to go to various other locations as described above. What does the rewiring involve, and is it a reasonable DIY project? Would I just install a new box near the outlet and re-route the cables there, for example?

Advertisement

Tags
bathroom , exhaust fan , junction box