DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing a bathroom heater

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  joeg679 
#1 ·
I am helping a friend replace her bathroom heater. Currently there is a Marley heater in the ceiling that is connected to a thermostat-type switch on the wall. Then there is an exhaust fan next to it, connected a switch and there is a vanity light connected to another switch. I want to replace the heater with a heat lamp system from Nutone. It has double bulbs and they can be wired to work independently, so we are going to use on heat bulb and one regular indoor flood, so she can have heat and light or one or the other. The guy at the electrical store said that I needed to replace the thermostat with 2 switches and then run 14-3 to the fixture. The only thing that he wasn't sure about was how the power was going from the double bank of switches that control the fan and vanity light. He said that if its 18 gauge then it wouldn't work. My question is how should I connect the power to the new switches that I am installing to control the heat lamp? I know I have to jump off of the switches, but don't know what wire to use. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.