DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Replacing a 100A panel (

The Woot 10-30-2008 09:56 AM

Replacing a 100A panel
My home has a 100 Amp main panel with two main fuse pullouts and four branch fuses.Also it has the same type panel added on as a sub panel and is rather Micky moused.
I want to replace this set up with a new load center with a lot of slots so I can put things like the laundry,fridge,microwave,A/C etc. on separate circuits.
What I would like to know is when I replace the old boxes....right now-for the house, there's wiring coming out the top of the box for four house circuits and one for the A/C.
When I add my new load center....the existing wires going into the ceiling from the old box are going to be too short to reach the new breakers in my new box.One guy told me to find out where these wires terminate and pull new ones to the box,which will be a pain.Another said to run the four circuit wires into a box then run from the new load center into the box and splice in the box.
I see references to this but what kind of box,what size,where can one get the right one?
I went to Lowes and Home Depot and didn't see anything like I need.

I'm referring to a box to go between my new load center and my existing wiring (which goes into the ceiling) to splice to the house circuits. Ok?

Box will probably have to have five wire capacity at minimum.Have to meet code too.

Thank you in advance and I hope someone can guide me.

InPhase277 10-30-2008 10:04 AM

What I have done for customers that can't afford an all-out rewire, is to upgrade the service to 200 A, with a full size 40 space panel. Then placed the old fuse box on a breaker in the new panel. Of course you have to feed it with 4 wires and isolate the ground and neutral in the old box. Then, as you add circuits to your home over time, you can eventually get rid of the old box.

Some people have even used the old fuse box itself as a junction, and blanked the front.

Ultrarunner2017 10-30-2008 10:10 AM

In my home, when the electrician replaced the panel, he used the 4" square boxes to splice cables that wouldn't reach.
In a few places, they even "cheaped out" by running 3-wire cable between the panel and the splice box, and running two circuits into the splice.
I checked to make sure the breakers for these two circuits are on separate buses, and they are, but not double-pole as I believe code now requires.
Then, this work was done 10 years ago.

I would prefer pulling new, but sometimes that's not really an option.

The Woot 10-30-2008 10:18 AM

Thank you for the quick replies.

So it looks like two of the 4 x 4 metal boxes above the new panel would do the trick?

And meet code?

J. V. 10-30-2008 10:55 AM

Depend on how many cables you have. Check in the box store for NEMA 1 enclosures. They come in different sizes like 4x4x4 - 6x6x4 ect......They come with knockouts. They are a little pricey. But come in handy if you want to bring them all into one box. For you a couple deep 1900 boxes should be just fine. A couple bucks or less for each. Same kind as used in the walls.
These boxes must be accesible. Plastic is aceptable too. Just make sure you can get a blank cover for them.

The Woot 10-30-2008 12:40 PM

Thank you for all your info. :thumbup:

I appreciate it.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1