Replacement Vacuum Plug Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Replacement Vacuum Plug Problem

I have a 2 prong vacuum cleaner (hot/neutral). One of the prongs broke off, so I went to HomeDepot to get a new plug. Came home, cut the old one off and went to wire this one on. Black to gold, white to silver, all is fine. Although, the new one is not polarized. The old one is.

I went back to the store, and looked, but ALL of the replacement 2 prongs are non-polarized! I know the non-polarized plug reverses the hot/neutral on the switch when its plugged in the other way. But what am I supposed to do?

It still works fine, but I do want to follow the "electrical rules".

Should I worry about it or not? If so, what should I do?

Advertisement

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post
I have a 2 prong vacuum cleaner (hot/neutral). One of the prongs broke off, so I went to HomeDepot to get a new plug. Came home, cut the old one off and went to wire this one on. Black to gold, white to silver, all is fine. Although, the new one is not polarized. The old one is.

I went back to the store, and looked, but ALL of the replacement 2 prongs are non-polarized! I know the non-polarized plug reverses the hot/neutral on the switch when its plugged in the other way. But what am I supposed to do?

It still works fine, but I do want to follow the "electrical rules".

Should I worry about it or not? If so, what should I do?
There's not much you can do about it with that replacement cord. Even if you ensure that you correctly wire the plug to the appliance, there's no guarantee that the plug will always get inserted into the receptacle in the correct orientation since it is not polarized. If it really bothers you, you can do either of these:
  • Order a replacement cord directly from the appliance manufacturer. It's likely to be polarized in the same manner as the original cord.
  • Use a 3-prong (grounded) replacement cord (and just do not connect the ground wire to the appliance). This would ensure that the plug could only be inserted into the receptacle in the correct orientation.

Advertisement

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clashley For This Useful Post:
seansy59 (11-08-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

You have most likely heard the phrase "Double Insulated".

Quote:
A Class II or double insulated electrical appliance is one which has been designed in such a way that it does not require a safety connection to electrical earth (US: ground).
The basic requirement is that no single failure can result in dangerous voltage becoming exposed so that it might cause an electric shock and that this is achieved without relying on an earthed metal casing. This is usually achieved at least in part by having two layers of insulating material surrounding live parts or by using reinforced insulation.
In Europe, a double insulated appliance must be labelled Class II, double insulated, or bear the double insulation symbol (a square inside another square).
Good chance that vacuum is double insulated....hence, the plug is fine.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
seansy59 (11-08-2011)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #4

[QUOTE=BeverlyS;1021787]You really need to choose the compatible plug for your vacuum cleaner in order to work, but on this case, all you need to do now is to start consult for a technician to also check and diagnose your vacuum cleaner.

This thread is old........I bought a 3 prong plug for the vacuum, and it worked fine.

A month later, I jammed the motor. Since then, I have had 3 new vacuums.......

Repairing a vacuum nowadays is not worth it, since they are so cheaply built, and are almost disposable.
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 524

Beverly, probably not her real name, bumped this post just to get her web site link on here.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote