Replaced Outdoor GFCI Plug In Stucco? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Replaced Outdoor GFCI Plug in Stucco?

Hello.

I just replaced a GFCI plug that is located outside. It is incased in the plastic outdoor box with cover. When I removed it I had to chip away a little of the stucco.

Should I caulk around the elect. box to seal the gaps between the plastic box and the stucco as I'm afraid water will get inside the cracks now and trip the receptacle?

If so What type of caulking should I use for stucco and does it have to be used in a certain temp. range? (Its starting to get colder here)

Advertisement

mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I would think silicone caulk should work just fine. I'd check the temp rating on the tube of caulking and see what it says. Usually it will be fine so long as there isn't snow on the ground, it will just take longer to cure.

Advertisement

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
DIY'r

Rewards Points: 500

Like theatretch said, silicone would probably be fine, but also make sure it's rated for outdoor use and has some UV resistance, otherwise sunlight can degrade it.

But for what it's worth, I've seen Tom Silva (This Old House) use butyl rubber caulk on almost all his outdoor caulking. It stays flexible even at low temp, and can be used to fill relatively large gaps.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote