DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

replaced 3way toggle with rocker switch - what's wrong?

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  chris75 
#1 ·
I am in the process of replacing all toggle switches in my house with rocker switches and I can't seem to get the three-way connections to function properly. The one thing I do know is that the common wire is for sure wired correctly. The problem is that on all of my 3-way connections, one of the switches has to be turned on before the other switch can activate the fixture or outlet. So in my kitchen, there is a 3-way that turns on the light - the switch on one wall works all of the time. the switch on the other wall will not work unless the 1st is in the "on" position. What am I doing wrong??

#4 ·
You should get rid of backstabbing { quickwire } and go with screw in methold or backwire { real clamp to hold the wires }

If you still holding the old three way's switch you can able indentify the common most surefire giveaway is darker screw or marked common that is the two most common way to tell.

Now you can understand why most of the electricians don't like the backstabbing hook up becasue it will cause issue down the road.

The backstabbing is hold by spring concat and over the time the spring will loosen up and not holding it anymore.

Merci,Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.