Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Share |

Replace Recessed Lighting Baffle Trim

I want to remove the black baffle trim and replace it with white. It seems that it was painted over when the ceiling was painted...
Should I just pull really hard and it will come down? It seems that this should be easy, but it's stuck...

rpearlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
I am

use a razor first around trim so you don't rip dry wall paper...
if plaster it will also help

UnclePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UnclePhil For This Useful Post:
rpearlberg (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

Ok, after that, it should be fairly easy, right?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #4

Without knowing/seeing your lights we can't say for sure...but if they HALO baffles they usually attach to the cans with V-shaped wire springs on each side of the baffle. To remove the baffle, first carefully pull it down from the can to expose the V-shaped wire springs. There's one on each side of the baffle. Then press together the wire prongs of each spring to release the baffle from the can. Installation is the reverse. Good Luck.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #5

pictures added.
Attached Thumbnails
Replace Recessed Lighting Baffle Trim-photo-1.jpg   Replace Recessed Lighting Baffle Trim-photo-2.jpg   Replace Recessed Lighting Baffle Trim-photo-3.jpg   Replace Recessed Lighting Baffle Trim-photo-4.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #6

That looks like a baffle with an attached reflector. The white trim ring is usually a separate piece. If you've already freed the trim ring I would clasp on both sides and pull down. This will expose the baffle. It should only drop down about 3 inches and then the wire springs I talked about above should be visible. Press each one together to unhook them from the can. When the baffle unit is free then you'll have to disengage the socket from the metal baffle assembly. Take note of which slots the socket locks into. You'll want to replace it in the same slots on the new white baffle. This is pretty easy to do but if you have never done it before please turn off the power before you do anything. Good Luck!
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Thanks! It looks like I need the Commercial Electric T6 Baffle, but I can only see black online...
Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYRemodeler View Post
That looks like a baffle with an attached reflector. The white trim ring is usually a separate piece. If you've already freed the trim ring I would clasp on both sides and pull down. This will expose the baffle. It should only drop down about 3 inches and then the wire springs I talked about above should be visible. Press each one together to unhook them from the can. When the baffle unit is free then you'll have to disengage the socket from the metal baffle assembly. Take note of which slots the socket locks into. You'll want to replace it in the same slots on the new white baffle. This is pretty easy to do but if you have never done it before please turn off the power before you do anything. Good Luck!
Nope. This is not that style.

This is a Lightolier 1076/1176 (or equivalent) trim. The baffle comes out and the can is left. There are three scratch clips that hold it in place. The socket clips into the top of the can. Once the can is removed the frame-in kit is left.
Best bet is to score around the trim with a razor knife, grip the baffle and pull it down & out, then pull down on the can while slowly twisting it.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
Thanks! It looks like I need the Commercial Electric T6 Baffle, but I can only see black online...
Those will NOT fit this frame-in kit.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Those will NOT fit this frame-in kit.
Thank you. So after I remove the baffle, what's next? Is it easier/better to get one of those LED kits that just screw in over the existing baffle?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
Thank you. So after I remove the baffle, what's next? Is it easier/better to get one of those LED kits that just screw in over the existing baffle?
Here is one option: http://www.lightolier.com/MKABrochur...s/page0321.pdf
Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #12

Here is someone with the same situation: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...044111053.html
Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #13

This might be more trouble than it's worth...thanks for the info.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
Rob

I would make sure the electric is off at panel if you haven't already. Sometime the hot is run to the light and coded for hot at the switch.

Last edited by Robpo; 04-03-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
I would make sure the electric is off at panel if you haven't already. Sometime the hot is run to the light and coded for hot at the switch.
not looking at dates
Removing the trim does not require accessing the wiring compartment.

brric (04-03-2014)