Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #1

Share |
Talking

Replace pool light

After receiving a $90 bill from pool contractor to replace a burnt out pool light bulb I decided to replace myself. It was very simple. Unscrew the light from the side of the pool and take out of water. The wire is long enough so that you can work on the light on your deck. The lights are sealed with a gasket and you must unscrew and remove glass to get to bulb..My bulb was 250 watt 130 volt screw in halogen. PS Dont touch bulb glass when inserting new bulb. Oil from your fingers will create hot spots and decrease bulb life. I do not reccommend going to your pool supplier for a replacement bulb. My local pool supplier wanted $47.50 the bulb. I found one online at ( www.1000bulbs.com) for $3.00. You can also find them at your local electrical supply house although they will probably run you 3 to 4 times the internet price.

DONRILEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Replace pool light

I SERIOUSLY doubt he wanted almost $50 for that lamp. If he actually was dumb enough to write that he is offsetting the cost of his labor to make it look like his service call is cheaper than it really is.

How much do you think it should cost to have someone come to your house to do work????? Even 5 minutes work.
Do you realize what it costs to run s business? ESPECIALLY a business that makes house calls.

Have you bought gas lately?????????

I charge $95 just to walk in the door.
And if you think that whole $95 goes in my pocket you have a few things to learn about running a legitimate business.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #3

Replace pool light

I am not saying that I was ripped off. I know these guys have to make a buck. I am just saying that by ordering on line and replacing bulb myself I saved about $85.
That pays for my gas to drive me to the beer distributor and also for about 3 cases of beer !!!!!!
DONRILEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #4

Replace pool light

Sorry, it sure seems like you were complaining about the bill.

I certainly understand about saving money and doing things yourself, but I understand even better what it takes to make a living doing this stuff, and it ain't easy.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #5

Replace pool light

I'm surprised the pool guys didn't show you this when the pool was installed.

I agree, it's not that hard.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #6

Replace pool light

Actually, Don, you did the right thing. If you are handy and can read and understand information on forums like this one, you can get good advice and ideas about how to proceed. Save that $95 for a real problem --- and there are lots of those around a home.

armendariz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, pool, swimming