Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #1

Share |

replace 3 prong dryer receptical with 4 prong

I have a 25 year old house with 3 prong 30 amp dryer receptical. I have a newer electrical dryer with a 4 prong 30 amp plug. The existing box has 4 10 ga wires black, white, red and bare ground.

It seemed like the easy, best, cheapest thing to do was replace the receptical/outlet with a 4 prong dryer outlet. They must have went to 4 prong for a reason right? I am not an electrical engineer, but I think I can change out an outlet, without burning the house down.

I go buy a matching 4 prong dryer outlet, wire it up and it will not fit into the existing new construction type wall box? The existing wall box is a standard brown plastic approximately 2X3 1/2 nailed to the studs and drywalled over type box.

The receptacle will not fit in the box, it is bigger than the original 3 prong receptacle! So now what is the easiest, cheapest, best way to solve my issue?
JIm

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

You already have a 4-wire hook-up, just need to get the proper dryer outlet & cord, then connect the cord, and remember to remove the bonding strap or jumper from the White/Neutral inside the dryer.

As for the "box" really need a picture to see what you are talking about. If the outlet is incorrect, most likely whomever installed it, may have used a Range outlet, not a dryer outlet.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-28-2013 at 07:38 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

I had this issue. The new dryers have a four-prong plug with a separated ground. You can add a new square extension box on top of the existing box in the wall in order to fit the new receptacle. The new box will stick out from the wall.
Moritasgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #4

Here is a picture of my dryer receptacle. This is just a standard square box (check the setup at the hardware store to make sure everything fits). Then feed the wiring through the new box and attach it to the old box. Ground the new box.
Attached Thumbnails
replace 3 prong dryer receptical with 4 prong-img_0049.jpg  
Moritasgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

It's a nutral not an added ground.
Need one like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=55
If you have a shallow box it still may not fit and the box will need to be changed.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses! I was able to carefully remove the existing 1 gang box and replace it with a new 2 gang old work box.

What should have been a simple litlle job takes hours! JIm
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Make sure all the conductors are hooked to something and to the right something. I've been tempted to make such assumptions before and been glad that I did not.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It's a nutral not an added ground.
Need one like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=55
If you have a shallow box it still may not fit and the box will need to be changed.
It is an added ground. The old ones have two hots and a neutral, and are ungrounded. The prior code allowed the chassis of the dryer to be bonded to the neutral for some measure of safety. That is no longer allowed, so a separate grounding conductor is required. This is an important distinction because sometimes people think that 10/2 cable used to be allowed for this application. It never was - it doesn't have an insulated neutral conductor. The neutral has always been required to be insulated, but used to be allowed to double as a bonding conductor.