Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Replace 2 Speed Switch On Attic Fan

I have an attic fan with a 12 hour timer and a separate 120 Volt 15 Amp HI/Low Rocker Switch to control the fan speed. I need to replace the Hi/Low Rocker Switch. The existing rocker switch receives a black wire (hot) from the timer switch and is connected to the COM terminal on the rocker switch. A black wire and a red wire are connected to the two other terminals on the rocker switch and go to the attic fan. What type of switch do I need to replace it with. The local home improvement stores have given me answers of dubious quality. When I Google attic fan speed controls I get a lot of results intended for ceiling fans not attic fans.

I am good at following instructions, but I would rate myself as a novice for electrical devices. (I can replace light switches, outlets, ceiling fans and outdoor lights, but I am by no means an expert.)

ess_stegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Are you talking about this type of attic fan switch like this ??

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AIR...r-Switch-4CH67

If so this type of switch normally will not be found in big box store and can be found in electrical supply centre if you order it. ( they can get it pretty fast )

Otherwise a common three way rocker switch will do a trick with this one as well.

Here is the other link as well

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Attic-F...e-pRNHCSO.aspx

Merci,
Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 05-08-2012 at 12:43 AM.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Hi Marc,
(By the way, I really should be calling it a switch for a whole house fan. I have always called it an attic fan, but an attic fan only vents the attic.)

Yes that is the type of switch I am looking for. I was hoping to find one with just Hi/Low without the Off position. The timer switch handles the On/Off function, but the more I think about it that is not a deal killer.

Big box hardware stores used to carry these all the time, but for some reason they no longer carry them. Someone at one of the big box hardware stores said this is because whole house fans now come with the switches included.
ess_stegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_stegra View Post
Hi Marc,
(By the way, I really should be calling it a switch for a whole house fan. I have always called it an attic fan, but an attic fan only vents the attic.)

Yes that is the type of switch I am looking for. I was hoping to find one with just Hi/Low without the Off position. The timer switch handles the On/Off function, but the more I think about it that is not a deal killer.

Big box hardware stores used to carry these all the time, but for some reason they no longer carry them. Someone at one of the big box hardware stores said this is because whole house fans now come with the switches included.
Ok there is one way you can do this is buy a convental three way rocker switch this is a common item you can find them in big box store or hardware store and for incomming power source to the swtich go to the " Common " screw that is darker colour screw then two bright brass screws you can use them for either high or low speed connection so you may want to do a test run if you don't like the high and low speed postion you can reverse the bright brass screw connection.

Just keep in your mind the reason why I did not mention conductor colours due I not know what your switch set up I do know you have timer there so that is not a issue with that part but the part I am watching is after the rocker switch side ( the cable or conductors ) that goes to the motour side.

So make a note what it connected at the exsting switch now you may need a tape and mark it down so you know which way it goes to save some of your headache on that.

Just make sure the power supply is off by using the breaker or fuse turn that circuit off to make sure it is off compelty due some case the timer not always disconnect the power source 100%.

It should not take very long to do this once you make a note of connection.

Once you get it done then you may want to use the marker or plastique tape to indent which one is high and low speed.

Hope that help ya on that one.

Merci,
Marc

Tags
attic fan switch 2 speed