Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Removing unused telecom lines outside the house?

The two lowest hanging lines across my backyard are phone lines that aren't in service. My inclination would be to just have them removed entirely, but the problem is that I don't know who to call since I've never used the lines while living in this house. What's the best way to proceed?

buckybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
CodeEnforcer

Call the loca TELCO and request that they remove their service drops from your property.

HIVOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HIVOLT For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-01-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
The two lowest hanging lines across my backyard are phone lines that aren't in service. My inclination would be to just have them removed entirely, but the problem is that I don't know who to call since I've never used the lines while living in this house. What's the best way to proceed?
Find out who is the local TelCo and ask to have them removed. Everything up to and including the NID (Network Interface Device--small box where the transition from the drop to your inside wiring occurs) is the property of the telephone company.

The local TelCo is probably CenturyLink, now. Probably used to be Qwest. Check the NID. There might be identification in or on that.

Good luck. Getting today's TelCo out for a repair is hard enough. Getting them to remove something that, in their eyes, isn't broken, well...

There may be a downside to having those removed. If ever you want TelCo-supplied broadband, they may charge you to reinstall one. Heck, the way TelCos behave, these days, they may want to charge you to remove the ones that are there.

Jim
More Power! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

It would seem that the consensus is to NOT snip the wire at the house end, coil the wires up back to the pole, run some tape around the spool to hold it all tight and then hang that from a nail driven into the pole. hmmm.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
It would seem that the consensus is to NOT snip the wire at the house end, coil the wires up back to the pole, run some tape around the spool to hold it all tight and then hang that from a nail driven into the pole. hmmm.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power! View Post

There may be a downside to having those removed. If ever you want TelCo-supplied broadband, they may charge you to reinstall one. Heck, the way TelCos behave, these days, they may want to charge you to remove the ones that are there.

Jim
If you wait a bit and then order broadband they'll likely be running fiber instead of copper, and they'll probably do it for free. Verizon here in the NE is slowly rolling out fiber all over and they hooked up the house we bought 6 months ago and took down the existing copper when I asked them to, both at no charge.

And yeah, I would just cut the old wire and coil it up and attach it to the pole.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
If you wait a bit and then order broadband they'll likely be running fiber instead of copper, and they'll probably do it for free.
Don't bet on it. VZ is the only U.S. TelCom that did any wide-scale FTTx deployment, and that's basically at a standstill atm.

Jim
Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #8

Yeah, I guess I can start with Centurylink. I'm sure they'll be really happy to come alter lines when I'm not even a customer of theirs.

Maybe I'm young and naive, but I don't really see the value in a dedicated phone line. My house has Comcast/DirecTV coming in so in my mind that's more than adequate as far as data goes. One of these lines looks like it could be the original from the 1950's. When I traced it inside the house it just dead ended at an old Western Electric telephone block in the basement.

Maybe a future homeowner would detest the lack of a hard line, but it's a serious problem when we play ladder golf in the backyard and the bolos are getting caught on the phone lines!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
And yeah, I would just cut the old wire and coil it up and attach it to the pole.
Well, I don't want to do anything illegal, now. In the event that someone were working on the pole down the road they would be able to tell fairly easily that these coiled up lines came from my house. I'm not someone who is afraid to cut some wires - I pull electrical permits for work I do on my own house - but messing with stuff at the pole doesn't seem like a great idea to me.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Maybe I'm young and naive, but I don't really see the value in a dedicated phone line.
You can say a lot about TelCos, these days, most of it deservedly uncomplimentary, but one thing is true: To this day, little is more reliable than good ol' POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service). During The Great Northeastern Blackout, a few years ago, the only reliable communications around here was SBC's POTS lines.

Quote:
One of these lines looks like it could be the original from the 1950's. When I traced it inside the house it just dead ended at an old Western Electric telephone block in the basement.
And y'know what? I bet if CL turned that circuit up and you hooked a phone to it, it'd probably just up and work.

All that being said: POTS is on its way out. If you've no use for it, you've no use for it. Hell, I'm nearly as old as the hills. Grew up with black rotary phones, with real ringers, and exchanges that started with a pair of letters (LIncoln, in my family's case). You could call 411 and actually get information. 611 would get you repair. But even I am about done with POTS.

Jim
Old 01-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #11

If you own the house I don't see why you can't at least ask them to remove the service drops. It'd hesitate to take them down yourself because those drops technically are property of the telephone company, not the homeowner.
michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelson For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-01-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,176

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Actually that is what I would do. That being said: I am a retired Telco emplyee and hung many of those drop wires and am very familiar with any risks involved. I would omit the nail and tape them to the pole.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Actually that is what I would do. That being said: I am a retired Telco emplyee and hung many of those drop wires and am very familiar with any risks involved. I would omit the nail and tape them to the pole.
The nail was already there.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,304

I still have the coax drop for Comcast on my house. Reason being, is that it is easier to just leave well enough alone, then undo it. Plus if at anytime I get tired of ATT U-Verse, I can hook back up to the Coax with very little interruption. I would leave well enough be, due to at sometime providers may decide to start charging people for running drops, especially if you switch back.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I still have the coax drop for Comcast on my house. Reason being, is that it is easier to just leave well enough alone, then undo it. Plus if at anytime I get tired of ATT U-Verse, I can hook back up to the Coax with very little interruption. I would leave well enough be, due to at sometime providers may decide to start charging people for running drops, especially if you switch back.
Granted, but I have no plans to touch my Comcast/DirecTV connections. I was talking about phone lines that were existing to the house when I bought it, but that I have never utilized. Out of the coaxial, poco, and two phone lines, the two phone lines hang the lowest. I have a small city lot backyard so four wires crossing the middle of the yard is not only an eyesore, but as I mentioned, can interfere with intense games of ladder golf.