Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing switch from one of three locations

I have a light that is controlled from three different locations. Due to a remodel, one of the locations is no longer necessary and I would like to remove the switch and the wire, but not sure how. My plan is to use this location for a new switch to control a different light so that's why I need to old one removed. I pulled the switch and there is a red, black and white hooked to it.

sqzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

Removing switch from one of three locations

Simple way.

Take the wire that is attached to the dark or common switch terminal (may have "C" engraved near it) and connect that wire to either one of the other wires. Cap and/or tape off the third wire by itself. Label this group of wires and curl them up in the box.

Caution: Do not push the wire ends through their entrance hole in the box so as to end up hidden in the wall.

Alternative way:

Find out (precisely) where the other end of this subject cable goes. It should be the box where you find that this cable is attached to the next switch that controls the same light and has four terminals not counting the green ground screw. Disconnect this subject cable's wires from the 4 terminal switch (a 4 way switch) and also make note of where the common wire from the subject cable was connected and disconnect that. Connect a jumper wire (a pigtail) from where the subject cable common wire used to be and connect the other end to either of the vacated terminals on the 4 way switch.

Turn on the power. Verify that you did indeed find both ends of the subject cable by measuring voltage between every two of the following 4 items: the now loose three wires of this cable, and the ground wire entering the box. Every combination should yield zero volts. Repeat at the other end (other box) Now you could re-use the cable for something else or, if you can't easily and gently remove the cable, decommission it forever by snipping off the wire ends in both boxes.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-27-2012 at 10:34 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote