Removing A Stuck Flashlight Battery - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Removing a stuck flashlight battery

IF not the "electrical" area, where else- - So I have this nice Maglight that has three (3) "D" batteries in it. I noticed the other day that it was quite dim so I decided to install new batteries. I have this odd habit of dating dry cell batteries when I install them into anything, these were dated Nov. '12. No wonder they light was dim. When removing the batteries the topmost battery would not come out. I tried banging the light's tube on a counter to get the battery to move, I tried PB Blaste in the tube and that did not work. So I get this brainstorm and I get a 1/8" aircraft drill bit to drill a hole in the battery then use a packing puller (with the corkscrew thingy on the end) to pull the battery out. I had NO idea these batteries were pressurized. As soon as the drill broke through the bottom of the battery all types of stuff came flying out of the flashlight tube. Luckily none of it actually got on me but it did scare me a bit. The bad part is that I tore the bottom of this battery out trying to use the packing puller. Maybe it's time to just get a new flashlight.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

I have filled the tube 3/4 full of water then dumped in some baking soda. put the cap on and shook it. Waited a day and see if it would come out.

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

See if you can get something to vibrate it out. Maybe hold it against a razor that is turned on.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 164

SAME thing happened to me. I sent the flashlight and batteries to Ray o vac. They sent me a check for a new flashlight and paid for my postage . Good company.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Household Handyman

@ zircon: WHAT? Not that I doubt you but in today's world that sounds to good to be true. @ joecaption: Yes, that is one of the first things I tried. But--there was no visible evidence of battery corrosion and the baking soda/hot water never bubbled as I thought it would. Between some 3-in-1 oil and another packing puller I got the battery out. It had NO signs of battery corrosion but was swollen a good bit. Hey--maybe I need to change the batteries more than once a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 93

If it's a real Maglight it's guaranteed. Here's customer service. They will usually send you a new one.

http://www.maglite.com/custserv.asp
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

I have found that after batteries have swollen and leaked, the internal contacts get corroded and never work properly again. New flashlight time. Get LED.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Household Handyman

@ Arlo:" Thanks a bunch. I had never thought about any warranty as this light is somewhere around eight (8) years old. @rjniles: Funny thing--the battery had not leaked, no corrosion, just swollen and stuck. I just checked the battery tube and no signs of corrosion. Thanks to all
Old 12-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 370

Maglite sells a LED replacement "bulb" for their older flashlights. Put one in the 3 cell in the kitchen drawer and it works great. Nice and bright and the batteries last 3 to 4 times longer.

Advertisement

chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote