Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Share |

removing recessed light trim that is wired on

I'm getting ready to paint a ceiling and found out from this forum that you just have to pull and twist to remove the trim from the recessed lights. When I did, it came loose but it is being held by two little wires that are threaded through small holes. One came loose when I twisted it, the other stayed in place. I will never be able to undo and redo these little wires. Now I have one light with the trim hanging down. I don't know what to to. These are just regular recessed lights like any other but the trim is wired on. I don't know whether to do the arduous task of painting around each one or try painting the trim. Will the paint stick to the trim?

Jbland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #2

Are the wires stiff and springy or thin and flexible?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

They are probably 2 springs. High end piece hooks into the housing (with bulb removed of course), lower end into the trim piece. Best is to take down for a repaint but if you pull down just a bit, evenly, you could probably get some blue tape under the trim (onto back of trim) and bend over edge of trim. Don't press it down all the way or it will be more difficult to get off. Paint around blue tape.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #4

Well, maybe therein lies my problem. I didn't remove the bulb. I will try that and see if I can remove them from the upper part. They didn't feel like springs, just wires and the trim wouldn't go back up against the ceiling with one of them pulled out. I will check it out tonight...I might be back. Thanks so much for the answers.
Jbland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Not a Noob or Boob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbland View Post
Well, maybe therein lies my problem. I didn't remove the bulb. I will try that and see if I can remove them from the upper part. They didn't feel like springs, just wires and the trim wouldn't go back up against the ceiling with one of them pulled out. I will check it out tonight...I might be back. Thanks so much for the answers.

Whether they are clips or springs you can replace them with springs. Your local big box or small hardware store should carry them in little packs, usually 6 springs in a pack (at least around here). Remove the bulb, if it is a spring, take a flat head screw driver and push up on the spring using the loop as a push point. If it clips, the trim ring should pull down to a point and then you will need to squeeze the clips together and pull out.

Good Luck!
Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1975 For This Useful Post:
Jbland (09-14-2011)