DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

removing push in connections

26K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  McSteve 
#1 ·
This may sound silly but I cannot figure out how to easily remove the 12/2 wires from the old builder receptacles. I don't know where to pry or poke and always end up destroying half the receptables. I am not trying to re-use them so that's OK but can you give me some tips? Do you use an Awl, screw driver etc.

#2 ·
I just replaced 5 outlets and had the same problem.. mine had no visable areas to stick a screwdriver into to release the wire. So I broke the first one open and gave it a look.. I was correct the wires were jammed into the holes with no way of getting it out.. I had to break all of them open to release the wires..

#8 ·
A lot of the times I come across this situation and the wires pull out pretty easily but sometimes you can hold the wire with your pliers and twist the receptacle back and forth and it will come out! Most receptacles nowadays have releases but I never have to use them. Do yourself a favor and don't put it back that way on the new devices. Instead splice you wires with a pigtail and then wrap the screw.

#10 ·
What sparks1up said - if you can't find a small slot to fit a tiny screwdriver just try twisting the conductor in alternating directions while pulling on it. You might be able to even do it without pliers.

And as far as I know, the stab-in style terminations on receptacles are, and have been for a few years at least, only designed for 14 ga wire.

#11 ·
If these are fairly new receptacles, but on #12 wire, then you may actually be dealing with clamp style backwire receptacles. Try loosening the terminal screws on the sides. Modern receptacle push-in terminals won't accept #12 wire.

If they are in fact just plain old, smash 'em & replace with new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.