DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing old light fixture & install ceiling fan

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  eokhuijzen 
#1 ·
I removed an old light fixture in my kitchen to install a ceiling fan. When I removed the old light fixture, it had a black wire connected to the black wire from the ceiling & the white wire was connected to 2 other wires from the ceiling. I could not tell if there was a ground wire connected to the light fixture anywhere. I have an older home & the wires have the old coating that make the wires look black. I pay very close attention when removing the old fixtures so that I can re-connect the proper wires. My new ceiling fan has a ground wire on the ceiling plate & a ground wire in the motor. If I re-connect the white wire from the new ceiling fan to the two wires that were connected to the old light fixture's white wires, will the new fan work correctly?

#2 ·
It should. connect the white the two wires and the black to the single black wire. If there is a ground wire connect it to the green or bare wire in the box. If the box is metal you can connect the ground to the ground screw in the bottom of the box.

#4 ·
Well that depends. I have a house built in 1917. Connect the white to the white, the black to the black and ground to ground right? I had to use an electric meter to find the hot wire. I actually had to connect the black to the white and vice versa. Colors in old houses mean nothing especially if they are all black which mine have been too so invest in somthing to tell you what the hot wire is or ouch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.