Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #1

Share |

Removing office lighting

I have started on a small project to expose the industrial aspects of an office space by removing the drop down grid ceiling. My question pertains to the office light fixtures and how to remove them safely.

All of the fixtures are connected to junction boxes (as pictured). Can I remove the fixtures safely by disconnecting them at the junction box as long as I am certain that the fixtures aren't on ( read: turned off at the light switch)?

I could possibly find and flip the breakers off, but this is an office building with other businesses in operation, so I would hate to cause someone any stress by flipping the wrong breaker. The breaker box is not labeled and is not just for the space that I am occupying.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kind Regards,
Cody
Attached Thumbnails
Removing office lighting-img_7230.jpg   Removing office lighting-img_7232.jpg   Removing office lighting-img_7233.jpg  
coffeeinmyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Removing office lighting

I've been wrong in a some cases before, but I highly doubt you can do any sort of electrical work on a commercial property.
k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
coffeeinmyveins (05-02-2012), darren (05-03-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #3

Removing office lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
I've been wrong in a some cases before, but I highly doubt you can do any sort of electrical work on a commercial property.
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't really considered that, but a very valid point. I was looking at it as demolition since I was just removing the old fixtures from the junction box and not messing with circuit loads or rerouting anything. I was wanting to have a clean slate for the crews to work with when renovations begin, but if I'm asking, maybe it is a job best left to someone who knows...

Kind Regards,
Cody
Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Removing office lighting

Most likely a 3 phase system. Could be 120v or 347v/600v(not sure on u.s equivalent 277v/480v?). You really don't want to mess around with that stuff unless you've got all the power off. Turning switches off isn't going to cut it if they shared the neutrals. Being completely honest If you don't know what your doing with a 3 phase system or qualified to work on it you should be anywhere near it. You don't just get a tingle off those larger voltages, you get off clean if your real lucky, hospital if your a little lucky and you don't want to know what happens if your lucks all gone for the day.

And no your not allowed to work on it legally.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
coffeeinmyveins (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #5

Removing office lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
Most likely a 3 phase system. Could be 120v or 347v/600v(not sure on u.s equivalent 277v/480v?). You really don't want to mess around with that stuff unless you've got all the power off. Turning switches off isn't going to cut it if they shared the neutrals. Being completely honest If you don't know what your doing with a 3 phase system or qualified to work on it you should be anywhere near it. You don't just get a tingle off those larger voltages, you get off clean if your real lucky, hospital if your a little lucky and you don't want to know what happens if your lucks all gone for the day.

And no your not allowed to work on it legally.
Thanks for solidifying my decision, I will leave it as is until the certified electricians come in.

Kind Regards,
Cody