Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #1

Share |

Removing a home alarm system box

I have a home alarm system that I do not use anymore and plan to not use. They installed the electric box in my closet and I want to get rid of it. Can you tell me if I need to cap off every wire singly or if I can cap them off together and shove them back into the wall? I need help . . thanks!

bbarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #2

The only wires you need to be concerned with are the telephone lines, and the power supply. Most likely the power supply is low voltage, perhaps a plug in transformer, so that can be removed simply. If line voltage (doubtful) it will need to be terminated in a junction box. If phone wires are involved they can be individually capped and taped so they do not short out. Any wires leading to devices can most likely be left alone....they carry no power without the system in place. Post a picture.

bbarney (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #3

I removed a battery from the red and black wires could you say that was the power source? as far as a phone line it looks like the phone jack is empty . . so am I safe to just clip the wires . .maybe tape them off to be safe? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Removing a home alarm system box-alarm.jpg  
bbarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarney
I removed a battery from the red and black wires could you say that was the power source? as far as a phone line it looks like the phone jack is empty . . so am I safe to just clip the wires . .maybe tape them off to be safe? Thanks!
If you just cut phone lines you'll disconnect downstream wired phones from the incoming phone line. You'll have to repair that at the demarc.
curiousB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousB View Post
If you just cut phone lines you'll disconnect downstream wired phones from the incoming phone line. You'll have to repair that at the demarc.
If it's RJ31X jack at the alarm, you can re-wire at the panel you're removing---or if it's more convenient you can re-wire at the demarc as curiousb states.

You have to do this because the RJ31X jack is designed to allow the alarm system to cut off the phones into your home so that it can dial out. As a result, if you just cut the wires, you will have no phone in your house (which may not matter to you)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #6

The battery is for back up. There is (was) power going to teh unit through low voltage wires. Look at the terminals closely and you will see which are the power supply wires...most likely that grey colored cable. Those wires come from a power supply of sorts, look qround for that, perhaps near your main electrical panel. As I look at the picture I see some heavier wires that indeed could be LINE VOLTAGE. A better picture (close up) of the terminal strips. And if you don't have one, get a VOM to check all the wires before proceeding.

Last edited by Missouri Bound; 07-03-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote