Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing an end of the line outlet from the light switch

Hi:

I have an outlet that is connected to a light switch and would like to remove it from the switch so that it is hot constantly. I have looked at the switch and the outlet and it appears that the source comes through the light on the ceiling to the switch and the outlet. Those are the only three things on that line. Is there some way I can make the outlet work without the switch being on?

lovetobuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,022

Take wires at switch---wires A and B and wire nut together. Depending on whether your source power is at the Switch location(diagram "current 1) or at the Outlet location(diagram current 2) you have one of the 2 setup shown below
Attached Thumbnails
Removing an end of the line outlet from the light switch-switch-control-utlet-source-outlet.jpg   Removing an end of the line outlet from the light switch-switch-control-utlet-source-switch.jpg  

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

In both diagrams below, the switch is not used. The outlet is constantly HOT
Attached Thumbnails
Removing an end of the line outlet from the light switch-switch-control-utlet-source-switch..switch-not-used.jpg   Removing an end of the line outlet from the light switch-switch-control-utlet-source-outlet...3.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 08-28-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

you should be able to take the 2 wires off of the switch and wire nut them together thus bypassing the switch and making the outlet hot all the time.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #5

Thank you hammerlane and DannyT. I appreciate your input....there is one thing, I still need the switch to control the light...(where the source is coming). So, I can't bypass the switch completely. Hammerlane...in the diagram where you put the two black on the switch and nut together the two white....will that still control the light? Right now...coming from the light...into the switch....there are two black and two white...one black and one white go to the switch and the other black and white are nutted together. At the outlet...only one black and white come in and they are connected to the outlet. Let me know what you think and thank you so much for taking the time for me.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobuild View Post
Hammerlane...in the diagram where you put the two black on the switch and nut together the two white....will that still control the light?
No in this diagram the switch is controlling the receptacle.

Are you saying in your setup that one switch controlled a receptacle AND a light fixture?
Attached Thumbnails
Removing an end of the line outlet from the light switch-switch-20control-20utlet-20source-20at-20switch.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Right now...coming from the light...into the switch....there are two black and two white...one black and one white go to the switch and the other black and white are nutted together. At the outlet...only one black and white come in and they are connected to the outlet. Let me know what you think and thank you so much for taking the time for me.
provide a diagram of your setup
Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

The switch I have, controls a light on the ceiling and the outlet. The source (I believe) is coming from the light on the ceiling. In the switch and outlet...this is what I see.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #9

this is the point that I am at right now....hoping someone can give their input ....I don't know if hammerlane is around tonight or not......thank you for the help that I have received so far......
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobuild
Hi:

I have an outlet that is connected to a light switch and would like to remove it from the switch so that it is hot constantly.
Isn't a switch plug?(does the light switch control the plug)

I have looked at the switch and the outlet and it appears that the source comes through the light on the ceiling to the switch and the outlet. Those are the only three things on that line. Is there some way I can make the outlet work without the switch being on?

If your power comes from the light to your switch, that is called a "switch leg" and if that is the case, you would need a 3 wire from your light to your switch to continue the power to your plug. If there is no 3 wire from your light to your switch then your plug would not have a proper neutral, because your neutral "white" wire at your switch is not a neutral, it's a hot.
Rochsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #11

Thank you Rocksolid.....I really did wonder how I would be able to do this when I saw only the two black and white wires in the switch. I guess I will just have to keep it as it is....I really appreciate all of your help. You guys in DIY are wonderful.

Thanks so much
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Thank you Rocksolid.....I really did wonder how I would be able to do this when I saw only the two black and white wires in the switch. I guess I will just have to keep it as it is....I really appreciate all of your help. You guys in DIY are wonderful.

Thanks so much
Your welcome, glad I could be of help
Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
If it's free...It's me

Quote:
The switch I have, controls a light on the ceiling and the outlet. The source (I believe) is coming from the light on the ceiling. In the switch and outlet...this is what I see.
There has to be something else. With what is provided, it looks to me like there is no neutral conductor at the receptacle, but this would continually trip the breaker. Do any of the white conductors have black tape or some black coloring to designate that they are hot? Also, can you provide a diagram of what you have at the light?
Johnny'sHotDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:

Thanks so much
Your welcome, glad I could be of help