Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Removing Electric Wall heaters

I have install central heating and want to remove these old, ugly electric wall heaters from my walls. I was wondering what the best way to go about doing this. Since these are already wired to the panel, can I just install electric outlets where the heaters are so I don't have live wires in my walls?

Each of the electric heaters has it's own on/off switch so there are no thermostats connected to any of them.

Last edited by jskillet; 10-22-2007 at 02:34 PM.
jskillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

Are they 120V. Or are they 220V?????

Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post
Are they 120V. Or are they 220V?????
How can I tell? I have no idea. Each unit is pretty small. probably 14in by 8in.
jskillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

When you say they each have there own off and on switch I am assumeing you mean a breaker for each one. If I am wrong please correct me.

If I were you i would take that wire off the breaker and out of the panel and follow it back as far as you can and cut it off. You don't want someone to be able to come along and rehook it up. Then you can push those wires in the wall and patch the hole.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskillet View Post
How can I tell? I have no idea. Each unit is pretty small. probably 14in by 8in.
Just grab the wires, small shock = 120, big zap = 220. TOTALLY KIDDING, do not do that.

Clear up the "own on/off switch" bc my assumption was you mean on the unit, not in the panel. Are they in series or do they each have their own breaker? What size breakers do they plug into? You can always go buy a cheap voltage tester and it will help you. They have 2 prongs, touch one to white and one to black, the meter reads the voltage.

If they're 120 and you want extra outlets, I see no reason you could not wire them in and put a face plate over. If they're 220 or if you don't want the outlets, like Darren said, cut the wires back from the panel and patch the wall holes. Unless you have a few extra dryers, A/C units, or stoves you need plugged in, 220 won't be very useful.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,224

Seriously consider getting an electrician in to trace back the circuits and remove them from the main service panel. No disrespect intended but if you cannot tell if they are 120 or 240 you really should not be messing with this. There are many other things you need to know for your own safety and you probably don't have this knowledge if you cannot tell 120 vs 240.

If you really want outlets there the electrician could easily hook them up whether they are 120 or 240 currently but he might have to change out the breakers because they might be rated for higher amperage than whatever duplex receptical you have installed.

You might also have other loads on these circuits besides the wall heaters.

jogr is online now   Reply With Quote