DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing ceiling light

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  mdtra 
#1 ·
I want to eliminate a ceiling light. Previous tenant ran a 14/2 wire and pushed it through a stapled up ceiling into the base of the lamp. Is it acceptable code to just run wire thru knock-out and mount junction box on the ceiling,and terminate wire with wire nuts with cover?

#4 ·
I was going to leave the switch active, essentially an open circuit at the light. This is a business rental property, once I leave, I will have to return the light back and make it operational, so I did not want to rip it out completely. But, maybe by code, I have no choice???

The wire runs in between the ceiling joist to a point where they located the fluorescent light, there, they just poked a hole through the interlocked/stapled ceiling tile and ran 14/2 wire into the light base. I did not want to disturb the tile, again, to avoid damage to them should I move.

#6 ·
As long as you cap it off in a j box, you will be fine. In addition to this you could wire nut the feed in the switch box so no power is sent to the j box.

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/

So, the J Box w/cover, just screwed through the ceiling tile woulde be code acceptable? Yes, I would use a clamp to protect, and I guess I could disconnect the switch with not too much effort if that would be required by code..

#7 ·
IMO.,

This is kinda sticky issue due the OP mention commercal building and with any electrical work have to be done by electrician and there is not much leeway on this one due many states are pretty strict on this.

I will advise you get the electrician out to your place to have the system check over due some case the tentent never tell you what other items in the electrical system can be comprised.

Sharpsport.,
I know you want to help in here but I will advise you that becarefull when you see the commercal building sistuation there is alot of guidelines or rules we electricians have to follow to keep the place safe.

Basically the same way with resdential rental unit but have some leeway depending on the state and if Landlord live in that building or not so there is few items it have to be address before can give out some answer on it.

I am not being harsh in here but just stated the facts due I been in the trade long time and I know this situation very well.

Merci,
Marc

#8 ·
I want to eliminate a ceiling light. Previous tenant ran a 14/2 wire and pushed it through a stapled up ceiling into the base of the lamp. Is it acceptable code to just run wire thru knock-out and mount junction box on the ceiling,and terminate wire with wire nuts with cover?
I'm wondering what he's wanting to do, and why. Is the Romex just hanging loose above a suspended ceiling, or is it feeding a fluorescent, or what?

#9 ·
Well., It depending what the former tentent done with that and how they did termated at the location where they brought it out. I am not suprised you will find some crap in there which I have ran into all the time.

Most commercal location AFAIK they genrally don't allow romex cable in most place unless it stated so by local codes.

And if this ceiling is used by air handling purpose that will really open up a whole new can of worms so that part will have to verifed to make sure it is not a AH area.

Merci,
Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.