Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removed a wall, now what?

We just took out a wall in our basement and I'm now attempting to re-wire the lights to an existing switch.

The two rooms (now one) were on different circuits, so the lights for room 2 have a hot wire that connected to the old light switch. The lights will be on the room 1 circuit and the question now is what to do with the old hot wire? I have a few options:
1) I can get the old hot to a nearby light and terminate it in the ceiling box. This would result in having 2 hot wires in the same box. If I cap it off, is this ok?
2) I can put a junction box behind the drywall in the ceiling, splice the old hot, and bring it to a wall where I can either terminate it and cover with a blank or use it for an outlet.

Neither of these options seems right. I really don't want to have a blank outlet box in the middle of my ceiling, though. What's the right way to deal with this?

JohnMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Option #1 is fine. Just cap it off in an existing box.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Option #2 is clearly unacceptable: "2) I can put a junction box behind the drywall in the ceiling". All boxes must be accessible.

Does option #1 also result in a junction box that is inaccessible?

Your statement "I really don't want to have a blank outlet box in the middle of my ceiling", makes me think it does.

As KB states, capping it off in a junction box is fine, as long as it is not buried... You are a bit vague on that point for option #1.
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

If you have attic accessibility above that ceiling area your speaking of where the light is/was installed. You can just easily bring that existing hot up thru the attic floor, install a jbox secured to joist to properly secure that hot. Preferably for any future use if ever needed.
JuzRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzRick View Post
If you have attic accessibility above that ceiling area your speaking of where the light is/was installed. You can just easily bring that existing hot up thru the attic floor, install a jbox secured to joist to properly secure that hot. Preferably for any future use if ever needed.

Attic above a basement? Interesting design for a home.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (04-03-2013), tribe_fan (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post

Humm maybe this did woke me up better than the cafe is and that is pretty instering design AFAIK I never heard that unless someone did use that for tempory for split level stucture.

Merci,
Marc
Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies, all. I'm glad to hear that option 1 is ok. Just to clarify, this does not result in me adding any inaccessible junction boxes. It will mean, though, that in the box behind a light fixture, I'll have both the wire being used for the light and another hot wire, capped off and not connected. The terminated hot wire and the light are on separate breakers.

Based on your responses, this seems ok. My final question, then, is what to do with the ground wires. Bond them together, or leave separate?
JohnMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #8

Quote:

Lol. Oh, yeah... overlooked that part(duh). Hey.. no ones prefect either. I'll try to be more efficient with my readings on this Android

Be good k_buz...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post

Humm maybe this did woke me up better than the cafe is and that is pretty instering design AFAIK I never heard that unless someone did use that for tempory for split level stucture.

Merci,
Marc
Hey French.. u and k_buz, lol
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 85

Hmm... basement with attic? It just so happens.....

A friend of mine decided to build a house. He had enough money to do the foundation and block basement walls. So he had all the work done, and then went to the bank for a loan to finish the rest. Only they wouldn't give him one!

The walls sat empty for over a year, until he had enough pocket money to put trusses and a roof across the structure. He then proceeded to build interior walls, and moved in a few months later.

He literally has an attic over his basement.
al_smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcG View Post
Thanks for the replies, all. I'm glad to hear that option 1 is ok. Just to clarify, this does not result in me adding any inaccessible junction boxes. It will mean, though, that in the box behind a light fixture, I'll have both the wire being used for the light and another hot wire, capped off and not connected. The terminated hot wire and the light are on separate breakers.

Based on your responses, this seems ok. My final question, then, is what to do with the ground wires. Bond them together, or leave separate?
Connect all those ground wires together. But do NOT connect the neutrals together. Cap off both conductors of the 2nd circuit in that light fixture box.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,188

Quote:
Aren't they all? Just a matter of separation.

Tags
wiring.