DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Removed ceiling lights - what to do with wires? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/removed-ceiling-lights-what-do-wires-88267/)

belias 12-01-2010 06:13 AM

Removed ceiling lights - what to do with wires?
 
Hello,

I have a room in a relatively new house (1997) where I removed 2 out of the 4 ceiling lights. They are simple 48" T-3 fixtures wired through a knock-out in the top center of the light. The wiring is simply pulled through the sheetrock ceiling (through a hole about 3" in diameter). Due to the configuration of the room, this point on the ceiling is nearly at eye level (sloped ceiling).

I'm wondering what to do with the wires now that they aren't connected to the fixture. Obviously I've capped them off, but I can't imagine simply stuffing them back into the ceiling is code-compliant. Any thoughts?


Thanks,


- Brian

jbfan 12-01-2010 06:30 AM

Install a round cutin box, put the wires inside and place a cover on the box.
Paint to match the ceiling.

joed 12-01-2010 08:07 AM

If you disconnect the wires at the other end so they are not powered, you could just push them up into the ceiling.

belias 12-01-2010 09:27 AM

Thanks for the quick replies!

jbfan: That's kind of what I thought but I was hoping to find some way around having to put a cover on the ceiling. Can I install a metal junction box higher up on the rafter, put a cover over it, and then patch the hole (i.e. cover is above the sheetrock in the ceiling space)?

joed: Good thought, but unfortunately it's wired in series and the wall switch still powers two other lights on the ceiling.


Thanks again

- Brian

jbfan 12-01-2010 09:51 AM

As long as you can get into the space above the ceiling without haveing to remove the ceiling.
Do you have access to the space above?

VersaBar 12-01-2010 09:53 AM

This sounds like the perfect spot for a smoke detector :whistling2:

:laughing:

belias 12-01-2010 09:55 AM

No - but I'm going to have to cut out a decent sized plaster square to patch the rather large hole left behind the by the wires (which is right next to a rafter). So I figured I could use the square cut-out to mount a small box...maybe it's not going to be as easy as I think though...

belias 12-01-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VersaBar (Post 543569)
This sounds like the perfect spot for a smoke detector :whistling2:

:laughing:

LOL - yeah...except counting the two hole I have to patch, that would be 3 smoke detectors in a 10' x 10' room....

hoz49 12-01-2010 10:20 AM

You can't seal the box up without access, against code.

RST 12-01-2010 11:41 AM

Could you run a new wire between the two lights you are keeping, thus eliminating the need for a box?

I have a similar situation... attic space is tight (barely "accessible")... this is the solution I'm leaning towards for myself.

RST

ianc435 12-01-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belias
Hello,

I have a room in a relatively new house (1997) where I removed 2 out of the 4 ceiling lights. They are simple 48" T-3 fixtures wired through a knock-out in the top center of the light. The wiring is simply pulled through the sheetrock ceiling (through a hole about 3" in diameter). Due to the configuration of the room, this point on the ceiling is nearly at eye level (sloped ceiling).

I'm wondering what to do with the wires now that they aren't connected to the fixture. Obviously I've capped them off, but I can't imagine simply stuffing them back into the ceiling is code-compliant. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- Brian

Tie neutral ground and load together, incase they are ever energized the breaker will trip. Dont want a stray line wire in the ceiling with voltage.

VersaBar 12-01-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianc435 (Post 543638)
Tie neutral ground and load together, incase they are ever energized the breaker will trip. Dont want a stray line wire in the ceiling with voltage.

Please read the thread before instructing someone to do something so dangerous. These wires will still be used for the lighting.


On another note, even if you were to abandon the wiring, what you propose is very dangerous. What if the breaker doesn't trip (which is definitely known to happen)? What if the homeowner just energized a dead short in their attic? That makes for a nice heating element waiting to burn their house down. I would MUCH rather have a capped off "stray line in the ceiling with voltage".

hoz49 12-01-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianc435 (Post 543638)
Tie neutral ground and load together, incase they are ever energized the breaker will trip. Dont want a stray line wire in the ceiling with voltage.

"Home cookin"

jbfan 12-01-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belias (Post 543572)
No - but I'm going to have to cut out a decent sized plaster square to patch the rather large hole left behind the by the wires (which is right next to a rafter). So I figured I could use the square cut-out to mount a small box...maybe it's not going to be as easy as I think though...

They make access panels that pop into place in ceilings and walls.
This will be the only way you can put the box into the ceiling.

michaelcherr 12-01-2010 02:59 PM

If you abandon wires absoluteley cap off all wires (hot,neutral,ground) into one nut on both sides.
This way if these wires are ever energized the fuse will blow.

If they are left live, you need a box(left accesable).

You got two choices. One's better cosmetically, but could be more work.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved