Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Remove Main Breaker from Subpanel

I have a modular home with a 100 amp indoor panel. This panel is fed by a 200 amp load center mounted outside the house, this panel has a 100 amp breaker feeding the inside panel. I need more room in the inside panel and want to know if I can remove the 100 amp main breaker on the inside panel (this is a cuttler hammer mobile home panel the main breaker is plugged into the buss just like the rest of the breakers removing it would give my needed room) My thought is the outside panel has a 100 amp main breaker, do I really need one for the inside panel??

fblankinship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fblankinship View Post
I have a modular home with a 100 amp indoor panel. This panel is fed by a 200 amp load center mounted outside the house, this panel has a 100 amp breaker feeding the inside panel. I need more room in the inside panel and want to know if I can remove the 100 amp main breaker on the inside panel (this is a cuttler hammer mobile home panel the main breaker is plugged into the buss just like the rest of the breakers removing it would give my needed room) My thought is the outside panel has a 100 amp main breaker, do I really need one for the inside panel??
I will need the model number of that load centre you are talking about.

Some Mobile home panels I know it can take twinners or quad format so that why I ask for model number of this load centre.

That is the only way I can tell if safe to remove or not.

Plus I need more details on what size and type of conductor run from 200 amp panel to 100 amp panels that will affect this as well.

Don't take this matter wrong we are doing in safe legit manner.

Merci,
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #3

The panel is a cuttler Hammer Box No. Br1 020B 100GK. 120/240 1 Phase.
The panel does use the twinners (if you mean the standard size breaker with 2 circuits) My problem is I have room for another twinner but need to use one of the circuits on the twinner, the other one would be available for me to use for my project but! I must use an AFCI breaker and it won't fit. I will be one breaker circuit short. I guess if you could give me some options I would appreciate it. I was thinking if I couldn't remove the main breaker (original question) but put a small panel on top of the existing one and power it with the extra half of the twinner breaker, just so I could fit a AFCI breaker in. I don't know if this would meet code. It would keep me from making a bunch of splices if I had to change the entire panel. I know this is probably confusing, but any help would be appreciated. I will be getting a permit for this project, as the new circuit will power my new sun room addition and I can't get a building inspection until I get the electrical permit signed off.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

IF the home is still considered a "mobile" home (with skirting on the outside, and easily removable), then no, you can not remove the main breaker from the inside panel.

On the other hand, if the home has been converted to a "modular" by the installation of a permanent foundation, then no main breaker is required on the inside panel. But consider where to terminate the incoming feeder cables with the main breaker removed. Are there any main lugs present to do this??

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #5

The Mobile is on a permanent foundation and considered a modular. I did look at the panel and their isn't a place to wire up the in coming power. I guess I will replace the main panel. Thanks so much for your input. You folks are great.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

A good evaluation of your circuits, and what the connected load on each could allow you to install more in the same panel. For example:

Some units have a separate circuit for the smoke detectors. In some jurisdictions, this is not required, so that could be doubled-up on a lighting or bedroom circuit. That would give you sufficient room to add your circuit.

Food for thought.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote