Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

Share |

Remote wireless switching

I live in a mountainous area of Costa Rica where we have frequent electrical storms six months of the year. Our Internet access is via a series of wireless links between the company's tower across the valley, a high spot on our property where there are two 12VDC radios that run off a deep cycle marine battery that's charged using a laptop computer power supply, and the three homes in our neighborhood.

The Internet provider wants us to disconnect the 12VDC radios on the high spot on our mountainside when there are thunderstorms present, but that is not the time to be climbing up a steep, wet slope covered with coffee plants and carrying an umbrella. And the storms can come and go several times in a day.

What I need is a wireless means of disconnecting the power to the radios up on the mountainside, the high spot. Either a 120VAC switching mechanism or a 12VDC one would work, as the object would be to disconnect the 12VDC power to the radios on the tower.

The distance from our porch to the tower is about 200 meters and there is a line of sight. Something like a remote control garage door or gate opener would work but those don't have the required range.

Of course, the switching mechanism would have to both terminate and reestablish the power to the 12VDC radios once the storms have passed.

I've talked to the Internet provider about running a switching cable down to our home and back to the high spot, either in the air or underground, but they tell me that that would attract lightning and make matters worse. So that's out.

Any ideas?

daveandmarcia@gmail.com

Last edited by DavidCMurray; 05-28-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: clarification
DavidCMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #2

the the wireless people to install proper lightning arester's and grounding.

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #3

The Internet company installed code-spec grounding and a lightning rod, but still they want physical disconnection. That's the gist of my inquiry.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

never did any remote power disconnects on the wireless radio installs i ever did. even the ones on a mountain top. The US army never told me to turn off the radio during a rain storm either, and i was sitting next to them.
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #5

Well, what can I say? We've been knocked out numerous times. Bear in mind, please, that the U.S. Army has resources that the entirety of Costa Rica does not have access to. Their equipment may be very much tougher than what's available and affordable here.

What we know works is to disconnect the power to the system during an electrical storm. If you don't have an idea, that's fine.